Any hope for burst popeye on my jack dempsey fish?

nikii

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
Canada
Hi, I was out of town for a few days and had my brother feeding my tank. I got back into town late and noticed the jack dempsey had popeye on one side. I've experienced this in the past with a fish that had hex, but there are no other visual symptoms of hex or any other diseases on this fish. I had to go to work early the next morning and when I got home today the eye was popped off. At first the big eye tissue was hanging but now its all gone, I'm not sure if another fish ripped it off. I tested the water and the nitrates are quite high so I believe from some things I have read that this may have caused the problem and will be doing a big water change tonight and each night for the next few days. All the other fish are fine.

My question is, is this fish worth treating or should I humanely euthanize? I think the other fish are already picking on it and it's obviously half blind. It isn't eating (although this fish has always been a bit weird and never really chased food when I put it in the tank) and it's spending a lot of time hiding in the corner kinda tilted.

If I were to treat it, what would be the best way? Or should I just leave it and maybe it will be fine once the nitrates are good? I imagine the eye hole could be a source of infection and I'm worried it is painful. I can set up a hospital tank so it's away from the others but I'm just wondering if it's a bleak prognosis or if there is a chance. Thanks for any help.

I could probably post a pic if you really want, but it's kind of gross. His eye socket is a reddish hole with tissues sticking out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store