Getting 3 axolotls!

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
Hi, as the title says im getting 3 of these guys soon, and they will all be in a 20 gallon with a cycled filter. Im getting a gold, a albino and a normal. Im separating them at first because they are 3-4" and i dont want them eating each other haha. I was wondering on what i should be feeding besides bloodworms and earthworms, i also bought some bloodworm/earthworm pellets haha

I also bought a chiller which i guess is just a bunch of fans haha

Do i need to separate all of them? Or will there definitely start eating off limbs? And will this behavior continue for life if they are raised together? I do have 2 dividers and im prepared to split the tank into 3.

Ive seen a whole bunch of morphs, but i couldnt find sellers besides buy-axolotls.com and backwaterreptiles.com, they arent coming yet because i put them on hold until my tank is set up. Can they be housed on sand? And is a weak LED light ok for them?

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
Just got my shipment in! And.. there all dead... :rip:( o well ill see if i can get some more in a few weeks.

theomega

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2009
CT
Did they arrive dead? I'm selling mine. I have six together. No cannibalism. They are 6 inches or so. Been together since 3-4 inchesi
Sent from my SPH-L900 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1408577076407.jpg

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
Yes, they arrived dead, what morphes do you have? Also how long have you had them, and what are they feeding on?

Shenanigans

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2011
Wyoming
They are canabalistic but completely killing each other shouldn't happen if they are well fed. Even my adults occasionally lose a limb but they quickly grow back. My male is fairly aggressive. All of mine were raised together since they were 1 inch, but at that size there is a possibility. Sand is the best substrate as they can eat gravel and become impacted. Bare tanks seem to hinder their movement. They will accept any food that they can swallow.

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
Ive heard that axies raised together still inhibit cannibalistic behavior through out their life, but ill see haha, i feel like getting 2 adults and putting a baby by himself until it gets larger.

Shenanigans

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2011
Wyoming
They will chew on each other and injuries will take place. But this is rarely serous and injuries heal or regrow quickly with a good diet and clean water

crayfishguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
Houston texas
I know someone who sells them quite regularly. Did you complain that they were DOA to the seller?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store