Oscar breeding question.

TexOscar1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2014
Texas
I was noticing my two oscars opening their mouths to each other then 1 was pecking at a flat rock and other was digging a hole in the gravel. Is this normal Oscar breeding steps? Or just coincidence? Never bred Oscars and I thought they were both male 1 is slightly larger than other but both are stocky and thick. I hope they are breeding but no idea! Hopefully someone can chime in. They are about 7.5" larger one, smaller is 6-6.5".

TexOscar1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2014
Texas
They are in a 125G(6x19x20 - around those dimensions), I thought they were doing that but I watched some spawning videos on youtube and they are doing the same thing as those. I thought they were to young as well so it's got me confused. They stick together everywhere they go, my only thought is they were much older and under fed when i got them. I have a jewel cichlid in the tank as well till I could rehome him/her, and they keep him/her pinned in the corner so I wil be pulling it out when i'm home from work.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I think its funny when people ask what fish to breed and no one ever says 'Oscar'. It seems every store you go to has them, and they really are not that cheap. Granted you cant give an adult one away free in my area but the little babies sell very well. So if you do end up with a breeding pair, Congrats!

TexOscar1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2014
Texas
I am hoping they end up a breeding pair! There were 3 I rescued but 1 commited suicide and jumped out of the tank about 2 months ago.
After doing some calling and reconnecting with the people I got the fish from, it seems they may be older than I thought, I have had them around a year and the people before had them approx 5 months. Which is horrible now that I find out, they were maybe 2.5" when I got them. Seems like they were never fed during that 5 months, but now they get 3-4 meals a day. I will keep watching them and hoping they lay eggs and they hatch! Wasn't planning on these two being a breeding pair but it would be pretty cool!

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Thats sad that the previous owners did not care for them very well. Oscars grow at such a huge rate that it gets out of control for a lot of people because they just dont have tanks big enough. Glad you got them and hope they are a pair.

TexOscar1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2014
Texas
So glad I got them, probably be dead by now if not.
I hate seein people at stores buying them and store clerk says a 40g is big enough. I normally speak up but so many people do that.

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
I have a M/F pair, close to 2yrs, about a foot long each. First batch of eggs came this past May 31. They were eaten during the night by the big pleco. Just as well, I dont want a batch of baby Oscars.As for pre-spawn behavior, yes they did a fair bit of nudging, gentle face pushing. I put an 8in dinner plate in the tank, few days later I had this...
[/URL
Thats the male Lutino hovering over the batch

TexOscar1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2014
Texas
I may need to try a dinner plate in the tank, i have a few flat rocks but dont think they are big enough for the amount of eggs they lay.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store