New to Natives - Lepomis Tankmates

KayakerJake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2014
Pennsylvania
Hello everyone,
not only am i new to this website, but also to keeping native species fish. I've been doing tons of reading and research for an empty 55 gallon i have (Bearded Dragon moved into a larger tank :grinno:). I've pretty much decided on owning something from the Lepomis genus of sunfishes. Now, my question is: what tankmates can i keep with a Lepomis Humilis,Orangespotted Sunfish? I was thinking of a single L.Humilis, some Rainbow Darters, and a Crayfish for the bottom? Also, would it be possible to keep more than one (like a pair) of L.Humilis or even a Lepomis gibbosus, Pumpkinseed? Any help is much appreciated, the tank i will be using is 48"L x 13"W x 21"H.
Thanks, Jake

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
Pumpkin seeds are too big for a 55.

I have kept Orange Spotted sunfish with a molted Sculpin, and weather loaches without incident.

I am not sure which inhabitant(s) are the ones who obliterate every mokreb (self cloning) crayfish that I have added to their tank. I suspect the two golden dojos that are much larger than the two brown ones rather than OSP but have never seen the kill(s).

It is occurring only during the molt!

A bad mix early with the OSP was what are referred to in bait shops around here as bull minnows, or mummichugs. They are some kind of large killifish used for bait for predators in excess of 8".

After quarantining several hundred of them in one of my outdoor ponds I added a couple to their tank, and they proceeded to beat the tar out of the OSP's. I removed the Bull minnows within days.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
You can actually keep the humilis in a small group which they tend to do better in than just one of them. In a 55 you could have 5-6 orangespots with a few darters in the bottom. Rainbow Darters would be good to start with if you're new. I started out keeping Greensides which are the opposite of beginner darters and they're doing well for me with some other darters but they are definitely not as hardy as rainbows. Pumpkinseeds get to large for a 55 gallon, which is why I prefer 75s because they have 6" more width.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I also think a 55g would be fine for P-seeds, though a 75 would be better. Stock with one sunfish, or a group of 4+. Less than that and they will beat each other up. The O-spots are less aggressive though. If you don't car about keeping it native, some Uruguayan cichlids or fish could be nice (Gymnogeophagus, Australaheros sp., Cichlasoma dimerus).

KayakerJake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2014
Pennsylvania
Wow, thanks for the input guys! Since there aren't many care sheets about the O-spots out there, I was under the impression that I could only have 1. I was beginning to get discouraged and looking to get some Dollar Sunfishes. Now if I get, say, 4 O-spots, do I have to mix genders? Since it will be my first native tank I don't want babies...but I also don't want male aggression. And has anyone ordered from Jonah's Aquarium before? They any good?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Wow, thanks for the input guys! Since there aren't many care sheets about the O-spots out there, I was under the impression that I could only have 1. I was beginning to get discouraged and looking to get some Dollar Sunfishes. Now if I get, say, 4 O-spots, do I have to mix genders? Since it will be my first native tank I don't want babies...but I also don't want male aggression. And has anyone ordered from Jonah's Aquarium before? They any good?

Never kept Ospots myself but an all male group should be fine, just be sure to not have a female slip in. Mike has good quality fish but last times checked his site they were $20 a piece which is really expensive for little sunfish, depending where in pa you are you should be able to find them in many creeks and rivers. I've collected some out of the allegheny river in pittsburgh but put them back.

KayakerJake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2014
Pennsylvania
Never kept Ospots myself but an all male group should be fine, just be sure to not have a female slip in. Mike has good quality fish but last times checked his site they were $20 a piece which is really expensive for little sunfish, depending where in pa you are you should be able to find them in many creeks and rivers. I've collected some out of the allegheny river in pittsburgh but put them back.
Alright, thank you! Although I agree $20 is a bit expensive, I might have to still order them. Unfortunately here, right along the central Pennsylvania/Maryland border, the only sunfish we have are Largemouth, Smallies, and Pumpkinseeds. If only, I still lived where my family comes from, the St.Lawrence River, NY/ Ontario. Haha.

Pumpkinseed

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
Alright, thank you! Although I agree $20 is a bit expensive, I might have to still order them. Unfortunately here, right along the central Pennsylvania/Maryland border, the only sunfish we have are Largemouth, Smallies, and Pumpkinseeds. If only, I still lived where my family comes from, the St.Lawrence River, NY/ Ontario. Haha.
According to the PFBC you should also have local access to Bluegill, Rock Bass, Crappie, and possibly Redbreast depending how far east you want to travel.
http://fishandboat.com/wwcw.htm
Click the species on the right of the map and refresh to find the waters they are in.

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
I bought two types of sunfish from Johna's Aquarium with great quality fish species. My Warmouth's ($8/ each) and Smallmouth Bass ($12/ each)are still gorgeous, albeit huge now! I would NOT think of paying $20 dollars each for them. Female OSP's are about as plain Jane as sunfish get IMO. I still have a bunch of females, but lost all of my juvenile males to fighting juvenile Missouri long ear sunfish.

I bought my OSP's on Aquabid way cheaper from seller Rainbowrunner (I have always gotten high quality fish from this seller also).

I heard you mention considering Dollar sunfish. Here is a sale for six of them which should work in your tank for only $35 for the group! Just a thought.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwusnative&1409667426

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store