enough o2 or not?

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
so i have a 75 gallon with a lone 11" red devil, a rena xp3, and a powerhead that i have an air hose connected to. i want to remove the power head and try a circulation pump instead. give him a bit more current for a little while. but i cannot have an airstone in the tank. he ends up dragging it across the tank or pull the air line out.
my question is, am i getting a enough o2 in the water with just the filter?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The movement on the water surface is where the gas exchange happens, whether created by current, or air stones, its basically the same.
Out of 20 tanks, I only use an air stone in one (my intex pool that has an 8ft by 6ft surface area, and also uses a water pump), in most cases, I prefer the movement created by water pumps instead.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
There will be zero surface agitation though. The circulation pump will be pointed straight or slightly downwards.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If there isn't any surface agitation, it will be obvious because a film will build up that prevents gas exchange even more.
You may want to keep the powerhead, just in case, and use both if the film develops on the water surface.
I always have the return lines from my sumps above the water just for this purpose.

or use venturi tubes

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Ok good to know. I have a maxi jet so it converts from a power head to a circulation pump and vise versa.

I will give it a shot. Thank you, as always.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store