Stock Ideas For a Low Tech 2 Gallon

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I know this tank size isn't going to be able to house many (if any) species but I'm hoping it can either house one or two small fish or some inverts. It's a 2 gallon plastic tank that I think would go pretty well on my kitchen counter. It's 5 sided and the side lengths are the following: 6" X 6" X 2" X 6" X 2" and it's 8" tall. I do have some specifications for it though that'll sadly narrow my options. It's not heated and there's no room for a heater (room temp is 64-74 F winter-summer), there's no light, there's no filter, and there's no aeration. I'm more than willing to do as many and as large WCs as necessary since it's so small with no filter. I currently have it on my back deck with a a few trapdoor snails in it to keep it cycled (it is already very mature). So is there really any fish or invert that would do well in a tank these size and these conditions or should I just use it for snails outside?

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Put some stem plants in it with some shrimp.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Both great ideas guys! Love the Elassoma genus but I never thought I could keep them in a tank that small with no aeration. I also didn't think that shrimp (or plants for that matter) could be kept without lighting.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Ok well I'm going to be getting a breeding group of Corydoras paleatus soon and they'll go into a 15 gallon so I'll probably use the 2 gallon as a very temporary fry growout until they're a month or so old.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store