4 ft x 6 ft all glass

Zach5187

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Nebraska
So I have decided to go ahead and build my own aquarium, so I think...my plan is to use a 125 aquarium that I have laying around, I'm goin to find a used aquarium or have some glass cut to get my 4' depth. Instead of doing a glass bottom or pond armor I was gonna frame out a 4 ft by 6 ft bottom out of 2x4s 3/4 oak ply over the top. To water proof I want to use a 4x8 sheet of shower surround cut down. I'll then secure that to the piece of oak. I will treat this as my bottom glass and silicone the glass to this. To reinforce the bottom I was going to use 1x6 around the bottom of my plywood and 2x4 frame. 3/8 glass is what I was planning to use. Any suggestions would be greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
How is the build going? Any drawings or pictures? I'm curious what the bottom material is made of. Is it designed to be submerged for a long period of time? I have a concern about it getting brittle.

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
Use the 3/4 plywood that they use for subfloors instead of oak plywood. It's stronger than the furniture grade plywood.
I wouldn't trust using a piece of shower surround on the bottom, why not use a proven method instead.
Hope it works out for you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store