Adequate flow rate for biofiltration

fhawk362

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2009
Royal palm beach, FL
So I picked up two pumps; a 300 and a 600 gph. I have a 55 gallon growout and I'm hooking it up to my wet/dry on my 150 gallon. The filter is pretty far away and with the 300 gph pump I'm probably pulling 100gph. With the 600 gph pump I have to use a ball valve to control it so it doesn't drain my sump and it's been hard to find a good rate. Is the 100 gph adequate. I know bio filtration doesn't need as much of a turnover. But don't want it to be a waste of time if it's not filtering enough water. Whichever pump is not in my sump is going to be used to pump into my ac 70 box mostly for mechanical filtration since it's impeller just died out on me. so what do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

js302

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2005
England
hook it up, test your water and see.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If you put a Tee on the line to the 55, the Tee would split the flow, send half the water right back to the sump, and a suitable amount to the 55, by using a ball valve to control how much water goes to each.
Beneficial bacteria are aerobic, so increased flow into a sump can be a plus, and in this way prevent draining it.
My sumps get plenty of flow, you can see by the bubble action how fast the water enters. Because most of my pumps are in the 2000gph range, a separate line back to the sump is a necessary addition for me.

fhawk362

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2009
Royal palm beach, FL
I might try to use the 600gph and have it go to both tanks and see what flow rate I get.

fhawk362

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2009
Royal palm beach, FL
Got the 600going to both tanks and it looks like I'm getting a pretty good flow to each. Like 200gph. I'm happy with that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store