Smallest Dimensions For Adult Ray

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
What would be the smallest dimensions for an adult of one of the more commonly available rays (feel free to suggest the best one for a beginner) I'm faced with the choice of either doing an outdoor pond next spring or an indoor pond next summer and if I did an indoor pond I'd go fairly large and do oddball fish such as rays and gars (two fish that really got me into the hobby I've been wanting to keep for years). I've wanted a ray for a while now but my biggest tank now is a 75 and that's nowhere near big enough for any adult of the Potamotrygon genus obviously.

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
all the adult motoro that ive seen and owned just grow to 40-45cm disc size. i think you can get away with a 2-2.5ft wide tank with that. females are much much bigger.

if you have the opportunity for a wider tank - the better for the rays.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
First thing to remember is that a ray yes might get a disk that is about 17-18inches across and usually their disk is that long as well. But off that they have a large long tail. So if you have a ray that is said size plus a tail that is another 10-12 inches long you have a fish that has a length of about 27 inches. Now if you have a tank in which the ray is going to constantly have its tail smashed against the wall it can lead to probems. Infections and all sorts of fun as it will rub it's tail raw. And then this can lead to fish biting it thinking it's food and a mess of problems that can lead to death. Picking the proper size tank for adults is very important. But with that in mind not all species get really big. Some stay smaller and the male sex usually stays smaller as well. So think of the space your willing to give up vs what rays you might or would like to keep now and in the future. Allot of good research out there with people going over sizes. Read as much as you can and see what other ray owners use to house said rays. I always figure if you own any sort of variety or play with any of the larger species especially motoro you better be prepared for the possibility of having a 24inch disk ray.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
72x30" will do a hystrix for a long time depending what size you get it at

I think 30" wide is a good start point for most rays as long as you totally understand you WILL need to upgrade

Most people ask the smallest tank size think it will be ok for years not taking into account how fast rays grow

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

stingray keeper

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2013
Canada
minimum 72"x36" for your average black ray or motoro. you can cheat and go a bit smaller for the histrix, scobina, retic and i believe Orbignyi also remain on the smaller side but information is limited on that species. This is my opinion.

Reactions: Raka
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store