Are NGTs being bred now?

johnnycoolxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
Grandma's Basement
I live in California and a bunch of vendors nearby are selling NGT now. It's not just the baby size ones, but 6", 9" and even a few 10"+ were for sale. I've been a hobbyist for about 10 years now and NGT have always been rare/hard to find but this year there are so many for sale, at least a few hundred of them came in.

I think Asian farms must've been able to find a way to breed them. What do you think? It seems hard to believe that they could go from almost zero in the market to hundreds of them for sale all at once like now.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I live in California and a bunch of vendors nearby are selling NGT now. It's not just the baby size ones, but 6", 9" and even a few 10"+ were for sale. I've been a hobbyist for about 10 years now and NGT have always been rare/hard to find but this year there are so many for sale, at least a few hundred of them came in.

I think Asian farms must've been able to find a way to breed them. What do you think? It seems hard to believe that they could go from almost zero in the market to hundreds of them for sale all at once like now.
They are not bring bred no tigers are bred in captivity
NGT are fished seasonally
I would say most vendors in your area get the same list and they are see them at the same time and jump to buy them

If vendors have loads of them in one tank they will start killing each other then that vendor won't order them again not having the room to put one in each tank

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

skyliner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2012
Indonesia
I'm pretty sure nobody breeds NGT. They are all wild-caught and caught seasonally. Last July is the end of the season and you have to wait for another 6-7 months.
They breed in the rainy season and the weather this year is very crazy. My guess is next year there will be less NGT in the wild because of the crazy weather. But NGT like IT are wild-caught and people here fish them like crazy without giving time for them to regenerate. Perhaps within 5 years IT and NGT will be scarce and rare. I know this because I live in Indonesia.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store