Please help with Jack Dempsey breeding question. I have wigglers

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
Hello all, I have a fast question I need some help with. I have a male BGJD and a female EBJD in a 125 gallon tank I was trying to get to breed, Well they finally did and now I have about a 100 little wigglers in there swimming around..

My question is do I need to separate the parents from the babies or not? I'm just not sure if the parents will eat the fry or not..
If I do need to separate them can I just put a divider in the tank to keep them apart or put them in a different tank?

Thank you very much to anyone who can help me with this...

040.JPG

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Leave them in, at least for the first spawn. The parents sometimes mess up first time, so don't worry too much.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
When the numbers start dropping then I would separate them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
+1
I have breed jack dempseys before so I would suggest taking half of the fry out for you to raise and leave the other half in so that the jacks can learn to be good parents.

***125 GALLON: 1 Jack Dempsey, 2 Convicts, 2 German Blue Rams, 2 red jewels, 1 Green Terror, 1 Gold Gourami, 1 Angelfish, 1 Vieja Syn and 1 12 inch pleco.
60 GALLON: 1 Red Devil.***

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
When the numbers start dropping then I would separate them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Wow.. that seems a little rough!! LOL.. I really want to keep as many fry as possible, there should be some EBJD in there, but at the same time I want the parents to be a good breeding pair for me.. Would it hurt anything if I just put a divider in there to keep them apart?

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
+1
I have breed jack dempseys before so I would suggest taking half of the fry out for you to raise and leave the other half in so that the jacks can learn to be good parents.

Ok I see what you are saying to only take half them out that way they can learn with the other half.. They are just so small I am afraid of hurting them, and I really want to save as many EBJD as possible and there is no way of telling them apart now..

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
Dang it I knew I should have put a divider in there as soon as I seen the babies in there.. I went down to the fish room to feed the fish today and see everyone of the babies are gone now, I don't know if it was the mom or dad but someone ate them.. I looked around in that tank for over a hour and can not find them..

The mother is already changing back to her regular color now and is not behind the rock any more.. Yesterday she was almost black but now she is changing back to blue!!!

Is this a common thing to happen???

Timmy_85

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2014
Australia
Dang it I knew I should have put a divider in there as soon as I seen the babies in there.. I went down to the fish room to feed the fish today and see everyone of the babies are gone now, I don't know if it was the mom or dad but someone ate them.. I looked around in that tank for over a hour and can not find them..

The mother is already changing back to her regular color now and is not behind the rock any more.. Yesterday she was almost black but now she is changing back to blue!!!

Is this a common thing to happen???
Yeah don't stress. Give them time! Once they get the hang of it they usually spawn every 3 to 4 weeks.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store