Whats the minimum Monster tank in your opinion?

ChrisM101

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2014
Paris, AR,United States
I get the feeling mostly 240 gallons is the most common answer. I have a 125 but will start looking to do something with a bigger tank eventually. Probably some catfish and plecos. No RTC maybe a TSN my lima and some others. Is 240 enough? 300? Id love a 450 but thats pushing the price up there out of reach unless you live in socal where everyone has huge tanks for sale.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Yo it's not about the size but what's in there! We're monsterFishKeepers not MonsterTankKeepers...

dxdx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
NJ, USA
I would say anything bigger than an off the shelf tank from your LFS... I guess bigger than a 180. It takes a monster dedication to seek out, buy and set up a custom/oversized tank.

houie925

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2008
Manteca, California
It's all about perspective. My 8x4x2 seems like a standard size aquarium to me now that I've had it for a little while. Anything that wouldn't be a major upgrade from that doesn't seem monster to me and after my next upgrade I'll probably get accustomed to that and look back at my 450 as a small tank and dream of a tank double the size of what I have.

As long as the tank is plenty big to house the fish you are keeping it's monster enough.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
I agree it depends on the fish. I have a new 180 g coming in on Friday. It will be a new house for my male Jag, all to himself. Thats his personal monster tank.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I've always considered a 125 as the entry level monster tank. You can't keep a real monster in one, but they can still have that WOW factor to the uninitiated

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
300 Gallons.

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
I agree that it's more about the fish than the tank - plenty of mean fish you can keep in a 40br for quite a long time. I also think Chix has a point about the 125's; the first time I saw one in person I had no idea what someone would need that for.

I personally think 180 is a genuine monster tank though. Anything that can double as your coffin should be considered monster.

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
It depends on what size you define as a monster fish and how many monster fish you want to keep one tank. If your monster fish are arowana, dovii or Umbii which can hit 24 inch, you need a minimum 180 gal that is 24 inch wide so the fish can turn around. If your monster fish are Festae, Midas and Oscar that max out at 16 inch, you need a minimum 75 gal that is 18 inch wide. The width of the tank, not the length, determines the maximum size of fish you can keep. The length and aggressiveness of the fish determine how many similar size monster fish you can keep in one tank.

Eclipse390

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2011
Hudson Valley, NY
Depends on the fish & the person - my 150 seems small to me now, but whenever someone sees it - they always ask why I need such a big tank. Also - I think it has more to do with personality of the fish. Many people do not want more aggressive, larger tank busters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store