Teach me about tumbling media and fluidized filters

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
So I did a little research today, and my interest is currently peaked in regards to tumbling media and fluidized beds. I though those were mostly reserved for marine applications, but it seems perfectly suited to heavily stocked freshwater tanks as well.

I'm getting close to setting up my 240; The stand should be here by this weekend, so now I get to delve into the filtration aspect. It's drilled, so I am planning on using a wet/dry filter, but I was hoping to incorporate a media tumbler, or a reactor, or whatever the appropriate term is to add additional bio-filtration within the sump (after the filter floss and bioballs). I like the look and idea of the CPR media tumbler, but it seems too small for my application.

Has anyone here incorporated some form of tumbling media within their sump as a secondary form of bio-filtration? I've read the same reactors can be used for chemical filtration as well. I honestly just wanted to put in some K1 media, or some appropriately sized ceramic stuff.

As always, any input and guidance is appreciated.

- John

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
I use a media reactor packed with purigen on my 180...works great fully utilizes the surface area...uploadfromtaptalk1408578551997.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
I somehow missed purigen during my research. Nice looking reactor too! Who makes it? And how many mL of purigen are you running?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The action of the fluidized bed allows only most robust beneficial bacteria to survive. Only strong robust bacteria will live on tumbling media, weak, old worn out colonies are washed away, leaving only the strongest to do the job required.
I have made my own fluidized reactors, 4ft tall by 8" in diameter, and use aragonite as media, so beyond a surface area available for bacteria, the aragonite acts as a buffer against acidification.
I have seen them in aquaculture situations taller than your average hoime water heater.
This is mine, it handles a line of 5 tanks.

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
I somehow missed purigen during my research. Nice looking reactor too! Who makes it? And how many mL of purigen are you running?
Its an aquatop reactor around $60 and its nice because you can adjust the flow on the pump...im running about 1000 ml, which is way more then needed but I figure its more time between recharges.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526704

Stingrays thread. Reactors. Bio media. Allot of great conversation and show of setups. I went in detail with the media I am using and everything. If my little setup can handle all my rays easily I'm sure half of it will handle anything you put in your tank.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
The action of the fluidized bed allows only most robust beneficial bacteria to survive. Only strong robust bacteria will live on tumbling media, weak, old worn out colonies are washed away, leaving only the strongest to do the job required.
I have made my own fluidized reactors, 4ft tall by 8" in diameter, and use aragonite as media, so beyond a surface area available for bacteria, the aragonite acts as a buffer against acidification.
I have seen them in aquaculture situations taller than your average hoime water heater.
This is mine, it handles a line of 5 tanks.
thanks duanes! That is essentially what I read yesterday, but summarized and clarified. Much appreciated!

Its an aquatop reactor around $60 and its nice because you can adjust the flow on the pump...im running about 1000 ml, which is way more then needed but I figure its more time between recharges.
I've had decent experience with Aquatop products in the past, so I might give that a shot. Do you know if that reactor would work with any media that was specifically geared towards bio-filtration; something like K1?

http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526704
Stingrays thread. Reactors. Bio media. Allot of great conversation and show of setups. I went in detail with the media I am using and everything. If my little setup can handle all my rays easily I'm sure half of it will handle anything you put in your tank.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App
I'm just now taking a break from reading though this. LOTS of info, and thank you Kevin. Seems like you guys over in Stingrays are on a different level than many of the rest of us :) I doubt I will be building anything as large as what I've seen discussed in the thread thus far (only on page 10 right meow), but still the information is great. Thanks again for this link!

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I actually incorporated moving beds in the bottom of my wet/dry towers. No sense in wasting all that fresh air being used to boil the media when bio balls enjoy an oxygen rich environment as well...... ;)

This way in the event you add meds like Prazi which would normally be terrible news for a moving bed, when the media normally floats and dries out- if it's under a wet/dry with a drip plate it simply enjoys a shower - never dries out. Problem solved.

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
I'm 95% sure I understand what you've done, but is there any chance you could post or text me a pic of that set-up? it sounds like a great way to make use of the space in my filters. I'd just might have to move my heaters.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I thought I posted some in that long thread, but maybe people irritated me enough I just decided to keep to myself...... lol

I'll get you some pics and post them here. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store