Panaques and Plywood Tanks?

giveneausername

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
New York
I didnt know where to post this, DIY tanks, or plecos, so im putting it up here. I have been planning lately for a big, ~150+ gallon plywood tank, which I planned on stocking with a few big panaques, as well as some other amazon fish (Geophagus, Cory's, basically a Rio Orinoco Biotope). The problem, which anyone who is familiar with panaques is aware of, is that they eat wood, and are actually exceptionally good at doing just that. Would I encounter problems with the panaques chewing on the sides, leading to leaks and further issues? I'd be providing lots of driftwood for them to eat in the tank. I'm thinking they'd be fine, but I'd like an opinion from someone who has done this firsthand, just to be sure.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Brobstfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
USA
I didnt know where to post this, DIY tanks, or plecos, so im putting it up here. I have been planning lately for a big, ~150+ gallon plywood tank, which I planned on stocking with a few big panaques, as well as some other amazon fish (Geophagus, Cory's, basically a Rio Orinoco Biotope). The problem, which anyone who is familiar with panaques is aware of, is that they eat wood, and are actually exceptionally good at doing just that. Would I encounter problems with the panaques chewing on the sides, leading to leaks and further issues? I'd be providing lots of driftwood for them to eat in the tank. I'm thinking they'd be fine, but I'd like an opinion from someone who has done this firsthand, just to be sure.

I don't see how it would be an issue if the tank is sealed properly with epoxy, liquid rubber, etc.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

giveneausername

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
New York
Thanks. I already have one, and even though he's tiny, he's got some huge teeth. I didn't know if It had a chance to be an issue, so I figured it be better to ask than to build a tank, and then have it end up springing a leak right away.

Brobstfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
USA
Thanks. I already have one, and even though he's tiny, he's got some huge teeth. I didn't know if It had a chance to be an issue, so I figured it be better to ask than to build a tank, and then have it end up springing a leak right away.

No problem:) always better to be ask then have a few hundred gallons on the floor lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rotaryp04s

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
I will post pics laterband show what my 9"-12" Royal did to my filter intake tube and the seal in my take.
They will scratch up a acrylic tank so a plywood tank would at risk.

giveneausername

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
New York
I will post pics laterband show what my 9"-12" Royal did to my filter intake tube and the seal in my take.
They will scratch up a acrylic tank so a plywood tank would at risk.
I'm eager to see this. Might make me change up the stocking a little bit. I might end up with closer to medium sized plecos, maxing out at around 9" maybe. I was looking at L091, L200, L128, and maybe some natural/wild looking bristlenose. (I heard L075 "Para" also come from the area, but I've never seen a place to get them myself) I'm trying to make it a Rio Orinoco Bitotope, so, it's somewhat difficult to find a lot of these plecos locally. If you've got any suggestions there, I'd be very happy to hear them.

Rotaryp04s

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
I'm eager to see this. Might make me change up the stocking a little bit. I might end up with closer to medium sized plecos, maxing out at around 9" maybe. I was looking at L091, L200, L128, and maybe some natural/wild looking bristlenose. (I heard L075 "Para" also come from the area, but I've never seen a place to get them myself) I'm trying to make it a Rio Orinoco Bitotope, so, it's somewhat difficult to find a lot of these plecos locally. If you've got any suggestions there, I'd be very happy to hear them.
These plecos can be found, most vender carry them now Jurassic aquatics,freshwater exotics,snookin21 and others on here.

giveneausername

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
New York
These plecos can be found, most vender carry them now Jurassic aquatics,freshwater exotics,snookin21 and others on here.
Sounds good. I heard good things about Snookin, and I'm currently emailing back and forth with fw exotics to see if they know if they could get some other ones not on their list (L404, L418, etc). Do you know, by chance, if green and blue phantom plecos can interbreed/go in the same tank without issues?

Rotaryp04s

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
Haven't heard any hybrid of the two. You can house them together they basically have the same diet. They won't see eye to eye all the time but they will be fine together.

Rotaryp04s

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
L418 Titan is a hard one to get a hold of, I haven't see them for sale.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store