Daily ins and outs of Wels care

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Are there any major differences in caring for a wels versus other cats? For the hypothetical crazy person out there actually having and raising one, I mean. I read they forage shellfish and live foods of all types, and will take frozen as well as basically any meaty foods. Do they need fed more frequently? Any special nutrient requirements not commonly known? Massive water changes and over-filtration would be a given. People actually keeping them, any input?

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Know quite a few people who keep them, and have been thinking about it for years.. they're so easy to care for. Room temp (obviously not in an outdoor pond) and feed any fish or seafood or pellets. They're living garbage cans. As for frequency of feeding, 2-3 times a week till it seems to be full (it will slow down eating).

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Chub_by I know you have some knowledge on keeping them what would you suggest for the smallest size pond to keep one at an adult size? Grant that it does not grow to the size they do in the Ebro and more to the size in their native range of German and the Czech Republic

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
I don't know whether I have one or not. Still seeking legality info.

_Scott_

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2014
USA
I have a few and they have been really fun to raise. Mine eat pellets and smelt. Their temps ranges from 78 degrees in the summer to 46 degrees in the winter. A really low maintenance cat that loves to eat!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
For now, baby is in 370 gallon above-ground pond. Will winter in 210 gallon tote. Will eventually go into big outdoor pond. Going to train it to eat out of my hand and respond to three taps for food. That way I can call it up from the depths for dinner.

Has already grown a couple of inches. It's crazy how fast it grows! Naming it Audrey II for obvious reasons.

koi9

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2011
california
Nice. What is he in? Looks like a pond but the concrete block.........

Sent from my LGMS500 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store