300 gallon aquarium build? need advice from experienced aquarium builders

joe5639

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
hey guys so i was planning on building a 300 gallon since my pacu and oscars and armatus are about to outgrow the aquarium they are in. how do you go about building one? and what are the common sizes for larger than a 300 say like a 500 or 600? thanks any advice is very greatly appreciated!!

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Unless you are going with a plywood build (even then it is questionable), I would not go with a 300 or larger for your first tank build. If you didn't get the silicone perfect (assuming glass) you could end up in a very dangerous situation if it doesn't hold. Your best bet is to build a few smaller tanks, perfect your technique and learn what you are doing. That way you dont end up with hundreds of gallons on your floor or someone hurt in the process. If you want to learn about building some smaller tanks I'm happy to link you to some articles that may help, tho the best way to learn it through trial and error.

As for larger sizes, I'm not sure if any manufacturers have standard sizes that large. I know one brand makes a 300 something, but bigger than that I dont know of anything. Most when you get up that large are custom orders and sizes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store