Question about fish tuberculosis

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
I was 99% sure my previous 40 gal had fish TB, as I mentioned earlier, thus resulting in euthanasia of remaining fish and replacing all equipment including the tank. However my question regards just how contagious this is. I read in several books and online sources it's primarily transmitted through cannibalism, reproduction, and consumption of feces. The other day, I accidentally dropped my new net into the old cabinet belonging to the old infected 40, and without thinking I used the net to transfer a new fish into my new 40. I suppose I'm being a little paranoid, but is there a chance TB could be introduced into my new 40 because my new net made contact with the cabinet that once had infected water stains on it? Basically in simpler words

Water from past infected tank spills on cabinet -> Accidentally drop net on cabinet, where infected water once splashed on -> Applied net to new uninfected fish tank

My dad says I'm overreacting and there's no chance in hell that any pathogen could possibly be that contagious and strong, but I also read somewhere that TB can live out of water and resist chemicals like bleach.

Additional question, I read in a book that fish TB is curable if you use antibiotics. It said nothing on how you obtain these antibiotics, what kind you should get, and how to use them. If anyone knows maybe a chemical or something that CAN kill TB that would be great. Just to be prepared. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
What people need to be aware of is that chain stores like Petco and Petsmart have fish with TB in practically every tank. Mollies and platies are generally the first to get them. I have seen tanks with TB infected fish as the majority of the population in it. My advice is to never never buy a fish with a thinning stomach and a weak appearance. One infected platy screwed me over, costing me cichlids, tetras, live bearers, and fry.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
The other day, I accidentally dropped my new net into the old cabinet belonging to the old infected 40, and without thinking I used the net to transfer a new fish into my new 40. I suppose I'm being a little paranoid, but is there a chance TB could be introduced into my new 40 because my new net made contact with the cabinet that once had infected water stains on it? Basically in simpler words

Water from past infected tank spills on cabinet -> Accidentally drop net on cabinet, where infected water once splashed on -> Applied net to new uninfected fish tank
Its a $5 net, if your concerned then dont use it, dispose of it and but a new net.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store