Am I overstocked?

Wrightt3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2013
England, United Kingdom
I think I may be a bit overstocked so decided to see what you guys think. Tank is about 38 gallons (100x30x50cm/40x12x20") and holds the following fish:
1 Angelfish (hoping to add another unless I am overstocked)
1 Crenicichla Lucius which is relatively small and peaceful for a pike
1 Paradise Fish
1 Senegal Bichir
The Bichir was given to me by a friend because he couldn't grow it passed 6" for some reason. I haven't had much luck either which is good I guess because it means I won't have to rehome him.

Do you think it is overstocked or could I add anything else? The fish all seem to get along and my water parameters are stable.

Wrightt3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2013
England, United Kingdom
I never said the fish were small
Both the angelfish and pike are full grown at 6" and the paradise fish is full grown at 4"
The Bichir was kept in a 6 foot tank for 2 years and never exceeded 6" so I doubt he will grow any bigger.
There are currently no problems in terms of aggression or water quality and as far as one a tell, the fish are happy. If anything the tank looks bare.
Whilst I appreciate the quick reply, I think you exaggerate when you say it is massively overstocked. Either way which fish would you recommend removing to reduce the problem?

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Sounds like they need a lot more room. Pretty sad ur basically saying the bichir is stunted already? Not sure if that's justification to put it in a 40 for the rest of its life.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Wrightt3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2013
England, United Kingdom
Not sure if its stunted or not... Aside from its small size there are no visible deformities. There is also no reason why it should be stunted. As I said, it was kept in a 180 by my friend for two years and he never exceeded 6" so he gave him to me. If I were to rehome him would I still be overstocked?

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
i think your stocking is fine personally, just keep the nitrates down and you are doing a good job in my opinion... why is he over stocked? the largest fish as double its length in width and over 6 times in lenght.... as long as aggression is low i see no problem.

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
i think your stocking is fine personally, just keep the nitrates down and you are doing a good job in my opinion... why is he over stocked? the largest fish as double its length in width and over 6 times in lenght.... as long as aggression is low i see no problem.
+1

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store