iguana and redfoot tortoises together

Mike D

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2007
Spencer,Ma
Hi All!

Have a question for all of you. I used to be a pretty active poster here but life got in the way and I didn’t have time to post. I have had my green iguana for about 11-12 years now and he has been great for the whole time I have had him. He is very laid back and as my GF likes to put it he is a dog with scales. A few years back we also got 2 redfoot tortoises. Now that they are getting some size to them I am contemplating moving them in to the same enclosure. In theory I don’t see an issue since they are both from the same area, have the same diets, the same heat and humidity requirements. I have the cages setup almost identical except the size/setup of the enclosures. The iguana obviously has ramps and such to get him up high and the tortoises are ground dwelling so do not have the ramps.

So besides the obvious issue of aggression coming about on the iguanas end and not so much the tortoises is there any big issue that I am forgetting? Obviously if I go ahead with this I will watch them like hawks for any signs of aggression between them. this wont be happening overnight, but just wanted some insight before I go ahead with it.

I'm only looking for constructive criticism with this. I have been keeping stuff for over 20years now so I know what I am doing. I'm just looking for advice from other keepers. So please only post helpful information, I have done some research and it looks like most agree it can be done. but just want some other opinions.

Mike

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
during my years of reptile keeping (15yrs + a shop) it was common to keep the two together, and many do with no issues. i would give it a try and just keep an eye on it.

i haven't kept reptiles for about 5 years so unless there is some massive changes i would say your good to go just make sure the torts have the floor space. may be worth ( i have used these with hydrosaurs and iggy in the past) get some parrot feed bowels that can be hooked up in branches, this means the iggy dosnt have to go on the floor to eat and then isn't competing for food.

ceeej31

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
New England
I've done it in the past, a good idea is too have separate feeding areas for the iguana and the tortoises.

Mike D

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2007
Spencer,Ma
Thanks for the advice on the parrot bowls for feeding. I generally supervise the torts eying anyway since one is a hog and the other doesn't bull it's way in all the time. So the feeding shouldn't be an issue. Since I monitor it anyway. But will make sure to keep an extra close eye during this time.

I was cleaning cages today anyway and had to strip the tort cage so I put them in with the iguana for a few hours while I slowly cleaned the cage. He showed no interest in them at all. He would just give a glance down and leave them alone. I was in the room so I don't know if that had anything to do with that though. But he has been around other animals the whole time I've had him, dogs, cats, rabbit and so on. I'm going to give it another go this weekend. He spends almost all of his time perched on his shelf anyway so I don't see them causing an issue on the floor.

Will keep this updated and maybe throw a few pics of them up as well.

crayfishguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
Houston texas
I have seen it work well, and I have seen it go horribly wrong. Twice I have observed aggression between the two. Once an iguana bit a small tortoise on the neck, killing the tortoise. The other time the redfoot bit the iguana's back leg, removing a sizeable chunk. Redfoots are oppurtunistic, and omnivores. I personally wouldn't do it. Things can go wrong, and taking the risk in my opinion is not worth it. Also, the chance of introducing parasites or pathogens to either species isn't exactly desirable, if one is wildcaught. You could always try putting a screen or a false bottom a few feet above the ground in the cage to keep the two apart while still saving space.

Edwardo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2010
NJ
I dont like doing that kind of taking a chance mixing because when I come home I never know what I might find, or, not find, when I check the tank. I dont have peace of mind when Im away, after all you cant sit home 24/7 supervising your reptiles.
Also, having two reptiles in such close proximity to each other like that can create an incredible amount of STRESS on both parties, its not really natural.
Iguanas can be very territorial, and need there space.
I could go on.... but the idea sounds like its more for the personal amusement of the keeper, rather then doing whats best for the health and well being of the animals.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store