Renting...

Cloudk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2010
Swimming in a mountain river
Lesson learned... When trying to rent a house: Keep your big mouth shut about a tank if it's larger than 20gal, unless they ask or the lease specifically states no tanks above a certain size... First house I called on, the landlord asked about pets, I casually say: Just a dog and a small 135gal tank, she says: "Oh *really long pause*. Sorry, we only accept one 20gal or under"... Even lots of normal people have bigger tanks. Grrr! So, ladies and gentlemen, the lesson: if someone asks, underexaggerate or be vague. Say, it's medium sized(but since I have a 450gal, 135 is by my definition, small). Luckily I've yet to have been asked SPECIFICALLY if I have a fish tank, but if I am, that's my plan. I'm technically not lying, so I don't feel bad:naughty:

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
If they request you to state what pets you have then not saying something can get you in trouble.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

Cloudk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2010
I've since put: "fish" under pets list. No problems so far today anyway. Because yea, figured not telling them anything could get me kicked out.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
My landlord saw my 75g in the kitchen one day and asked "that's a cool fish tank, what is that? Like 30 gallons?"

I replied "yeah something like that, I bought it used"

Most laid-back landlord ever. Wears sandals 9 months out of the year.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Cloudk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2010
See? THAT'S the right answer! :D We have a good prospect today, we'll see if they ask about "1 fish tank" on my application. I'm hoping they'll just take my money and leave. They're real estate agents, and I've never delt with them, so idk their policies and such. I guess I've just been unlucky in possible landlords. Sounds like in general, tanks are not an issue. Kinda glad I don't have my 240 anymore, couldn't pass that off as 50gal ;) Sucks that honesty isn't always the best policy... Also, it's mostly a turtle tank, and EVERYONE loves turtles!

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
This is really funny, I havent had interaction with my landlord in months, the fish conversation was almost 3 years ago.

Today he was doing maintenance on the building and had to shut off the water, which happens to be on my side. Of the basement.

I was working down there on my 90g and stand. He knocked on the door and came in. Turns out he's really cool about aquariums and says he prefers them over dogs. He saw my basement fish room and was totally cool with it after I showed him my dehumidifier. He was even asking me about my cichlid fry and breeding them.

We went upstairs and saw my display tanks. He was cool about them, told me I picked good spots for them structurally and have me advice about the floor joists for where I put my 90g.

He also said he had a tennant in town with a tank "about 15 feet long" he said he didnt know he had it, and wished he wouldnt have hidden it from him so he coukd have reinforced the floor.

Super cool guy but you never know. Never brought it up because I didnt wanna get a negative reaction from him.
Totally Jeffrey "the dude" Lebowski type character

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store