convicts and dempseys

uncpmatt

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2007
Fayetteville, NC
Hey all, after a recent tank crash (caused by a heater thermostat going out and essentially cooking all my fish, including a 10 inch oscar), I am thinking about stocking. I have a 60g live plants (mostly amazon swords, adding some java fern), driftwood, and medium gravel as substrate. I am thinking about adding 1 Jack Dempsey, 2 convicts, and something to dither. Any suggestions for dithers for this setup? I like Buenos Aires tetras but I know what they'll do to the plants...

On a related question, my son has a single crayfish in a 10 gal and would like to add a fish or two. Anything that can live in harmony with a cray un a tank that small? I think I already know the answer but I'm hoping someone has an experience that will prove me wrong lol.

uncpmatt

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2007
Fayetteville, NC
Yeah I've kept convicts as dithers with the oscar. Never kept them with a JD but I've heard they do ok.

Also, sorry for posting this in FAQ. On my mobile and still getting used to the layout, forgot which section I was in lol.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
My Jacks & Cons were good matches for each other as far as attitude. If one pushed too hard, the other one pushed back.
This. Though both are reclusive in my experience. I had 1 JD and 1 male con in my 56gal and both were happy to just sit in their own individual caves which resulted in an empty looking tank lol.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uncpmatt

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2007
Fayetteville, NC
This. Though both are reclusive in my experience. I had 1 JD and 1 male con in my 56gal and both were happy to just sit in their own individual caves which resulted in an empty looking tank lol.

Yeah that is why I wanted dithers, hopefully to draw them out some. What about a mix of normal and green Tiger barbs? Never had them with live plants though, so not sure how they would do. Also thought about red minor serpae tetras (too passive?).

uncpmatt

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2007
Fayetteville, NC
Alternatively, if I could find a pumpkinseed sunfish I've always wanted one. Would they bother barbs? Obviously I would be looking at a smaller shoal of barbs, or maybe something else entirely to dither.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
The barbs will work, you might have to replace them sometimes though as they will take a beating from the cichlids and succumb eventually.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store