Maryland
Midevil
Sent from my SCH-R830C

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
Looks like labiatus to me but its probably some kind of mix between the 2 (midevil)

umbeeguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2014
Dayton, Ohio
That explains why it doesn't have the crazy temperament of the red devils I have had in the past. Is it pretty common to get a mix of the two species?

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
Its very common to get a mix of the two, especially if this is a LFS fish. With the frequency of labiatus/citrinellus interbreeding, its common practice to call them Midevils unless purchased from a reputable source. Does not detract from the fish in any way - looks like an awesome fish that I would gladly have in any of my tanks. Nice score!

Manu8__too

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2013
Every month we get this question. I agree with the others in that there's a 99.9% chance this fish isn't a pure form of either species. As for simply looking at it and saying it's a Red Devil (or Midas for that matter), is absolute hogwash. Even looking at a juvenile specimen of a pure Labiatus or Citrinellus would be extremely difficult to label with certainty. The conundrum with the modern day "midevil" is that each individual grows up displaying different traits. Some look more like a Midas, some look more like a RD and some are an odd mixture of both. Main point, unless it was sold/given to you from a genuine source, it's a mongrel in the fish hobby.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store