reptile uvb200 for snapper?

ITHURTZ

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Antioch IL
Ran a repti glo 10.0 for the snapper for a while and it was time to replace it. So I got a Reptile UVB200 from exo terra. Good choice or not? The light sits about 8" above the water, and the turtle has a rock under neath it that he likes to sit and bask (150watt halogen) and the rock is another 4-5" under the water. Which would put the turtle pending how he sits, 1-5" under water.

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
IMO I think that uvb output bulb is a bit of an overkill for a snapper. The Repti Glo 10.0 would work fine and it's less expensive.

snakeguy101

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
posting bail
It's not going to hurt your snapper but all you need is a 2.0 (zoomed) or 50 (exoterra). Snappers do not bask much and when they do it is usually in a fairly covered area so they do not need much UV. I have grown one up from hatching to 12" with no UV at all and it was fine. I think a much more important part of their husbandry is an extremely varied diet. They will take anything so all you have to do is offer it. Chicken gizzards, fish fillets, live fish (i would give my guy wild caught bream and mud minnows from the bait shop), rats, fingers, and misbehaving children are all great sources of nutrition for your snapper.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store