MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States

madjester101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2012
Amarillo TX
Might want to be careful I know there illegal in some states. My LFS has some in a huge tank they can get over 6 foot. Only reason my LFS is able to have them is because they get and house fish for a discovery center we have.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
you are in Florida? you can just go out and catch a Florida gar right around you. Look at the stickies on top of the sub forum to get more information.

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
Actaully, i know a spot where like 13 gars hang around, the problem i will have is parasites, and i dont have a QT for them atm, maybe when my bichirs are out of the 55 gallon grow out i can put some gars in there. I can only catch them with a hook lol

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
The 2nd link you shouldn't buy.
I say that because if you are asking about a alligator gar then you probably aren't setup to keep one forever, size wise.
Shipping on the long noes isn't bad at 20 bux. Accept it looks like a plain Fla spotted gar to me.
Also you said you don't have a Q tank? where are you going to keep feeders? You can't just throw goldfish in with these as a regular diet.
There is a sticky on this site about live feeders.
In other gar care sheets out there, they pretty much back up the sticky posted on this site.
So I think it holds water (Pun intended!) SO be prepared to go to the bait shop or set a minnow trap until you can get them off of live.

True spotted gars are protected/endangered/critical here in pa. There is a sticky here on regional gar keeping and laws by state check it out.

DO a lot of research on them before just buying one. There isn't a whole lot to keeping a gar but they are different from other fish care wise.
I think most ancient fish are though.

Also I'd catch one local down there if I wanted one. There is no way I'd pay shipping for a free fish that can be caught out of a canal or off a pier.
Don't use a hook use a piece of hemp rope or freyed nylon rope. you'll just break it's jaw with a hook upon removal.

HTH

Rich

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
I was planning on getting them off live, i usually feed the fish that eat live, ghost shrimp or worms of all sorts, i definitely never feed any of my fish goldfish, they are terrible for feeders IMO.

The second link said that the "alligator gar" wasnt a true alligator gar, i am aware of the size true gatorgar get. I think im trying to do research before buying right now haha

Also hoping they wont be taking out fish that are like 6-8" it may be difficult to catch i few but ill see what i can do when the time comes. I might just wait awhile until i can get a QT ready for the gars, then i can get some for a 300 gallon, im thinking spotted gar, bichirs, and peacock bass.

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Also you could use a cast net to catch a smaller one. may take a while but eventually you would get one.

As far as feeders I am guilty of throwing in a few gold fish once in a while. but the main diet is minnows.
Not sure if they would eat worms.
The gar is not a aggressive fish like a cichlid is. They don't just kill for their domain or sport.

Mine and I'm sure he is the norm, eats when he want's, & doesn't rampage the tank after the feeders. Matter of fact he waits until they come up to him. Then WAMO.....
the feeders come with in striking distance 3 or 4 hundred times a day he might eat one.

My cichlids in the past would kill anything in the tank even if they just let it hit bottom.
The gar I have is a very peaceful fish.

Right now feeder stock is 6 aussie rainbows. was 8
3 neon tetras was 5
hand full of rosies
3 goldfish was 5
6 guppies was 10
handful WC minnows was 3 dozen.

I do this for variety and the tank looks good and not so empty.
Gives him a menu if you will.
I treat the feeders like normal fish. they go to the Q tank then in his tank and are fed like any other fish.
pellets and flake. So the gar is getting pellets and flake since the feeders are gut loaded that way like you would crickets.

Rich

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
Well nets are a little difficult in this case, because they all hang out under a heavily rooted tree, almost like a mangrove tree haha. But its a freshwater tree, dont remember all the details as its been a while since ive been there.

OhioMFK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2013
ohio
Have you looked into the proper husbandry on gar? There is a terrific thread on this in the sticky threads. Also IMO shrimp still need to be QT. What is going to be your starting tank for your gar. It is suggested you do step up tanks. It is a very common issue of gar getting to much speed with chasing a fish or getting spooked and slamming into the glass, which in result can break their backs. Also be sure to leave your tank an inch or two low as gar like to gulp air. Also remember when planting or putting objects in your tank gars strike with a side motion, which can result in cut of there are sharp edges, or in my case since i have a planted tank the occasional instance with having to replant some grass. I hope this helps. i have only had mine for about two months so this is just based on my limited experience.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Well the first pic is an actual longnose gar and 20$ is a good price. The second fish is not an alligator gar its a Florida and should be around 20$-40$

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store