Chuco spawn

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have them in a 6ft tank with a river type situation, where flow starts on one end, and overflow drilled on the opposite side, maybe 1000gph.
The flow enters right above where they have placed the spawn, a sort of counter current zone.
Seemed all the rain storms of late has fired them up, another female of the 6 total adults is beginning to darken up, and commandeering the other end of the tank.

By the way Matt, I'm sorry to say I found, what I believe to be the male cardozo pike dead in the pond today. Whether or not they consummated their relationship before she took him out, is unknown at this point.

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
Congrats, beautiful pair!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Thanks, the male attacks any attempt to cleans the glass within a foot of the eggs, algae is taking over.
I placed darkened styro panels to help with reflection.
Couple before spawn pics.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Female started to chew the eggs open yesterday afternoon, and looks to be placing the wrigglers in the large PVC cap next to where they were initially placed. Both parents still protecting the area like the investment is serious.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Rock where the eggs were, is totally cleaned off today, the the pair is now guarding the PVC cap. Hoping this remains the scenario, in theory, it could be easy to remove the cap with the fry in it, to a rearing tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store