First week of trying to do a planted tank

qwerty1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2012
Ontario
hello mfk,
This is my 10 gallon planted tank which i started about a week and a half ago which i am currently using to grow out a green texas cichlid

Lights are 24watt T5HO sunblasters
2 tetra 10 gallon filters
Using Excel, Trace, Iron and potassium for fertilaizers

The only plants i have in it right now are
Rotala (Indica??)
Ludwigia (?)
small amazon sword
and a clump of java moss tied to airline tubing to help with nitrates
10617546_792834224095269_550684463_n.jpg

10617546_792834224095269_550684463_n.jpg

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Pothos plant out the top.
It's a proven nitrate eater.

BTW Looks good.

Rich

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Looks good!
I've been told that excel can be hard on plants, especially any vallisneria sp.
I have a 10 gallon planted tank and it has been some work.
I have flourite as my substrate. And I also have a mini co2 defuser that fluval makes. The co2 defuser made a huge difference. I now use excel only as a supplement like one a week. And Avery small dosage too.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
I think the texas will start to eat or disturb the plants.I always like the way a wood and plants look together, maybe some darker small pebbles on top of the sand

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

qwerty1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2012
Ontario
thanks for the comments and advice guys!

I think the texas will start to eat or disturb the plants.I always like the way a wood and plants look together, maybe some darker small pebbles on top of the sand

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
My texas has been pretty good with plants so far, he likes to rest in them over anything. But if he DOES start to wreck them, i have 3 other planted setups they can go into while he grows out for a 150g.

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
to add to the wood/plant suggestion, some mosses (iirc christmas, maybe java but do some homework first) tend to not get eaten as readily by fish. They also have a neat habit of having rhizomes (= roots) dig in to softer substrates. This doesn't mean gravel/sand, but rather driftwood. So if tied down for a period, covering some nice surface area, they should take root and grow from the wood.

There is also something to be said for some surfaces with a mature algae. Petrified wood is easy to obtain, worthless for the most part scientifically and make some amazing colors with simply algae. Bone can have this effect too, but as a caution avoid antler. You also want a more sun bleached older bone, you know the kind. Some bones also are prone two two issues. A fungus that makes blobby white spermy looking garbage grow on it (bonus: it smells of poo.) If this happens, the bone is too "young" and still has organic material that the fungus is feeding on. The second issue is that some can, randomly, get eaten by bacteria that harms nothing. They just disintegrate. These also make fantastic homes from various mosses, if tied down first. Some sandstones can make spectacular algae covered surfaces, so can shell if you are close to the ocean and find a good sized chunk. I have seen shales deepen with this amazing deep green color, as well. If someone helps me learn to photograph it, I'll show my tank. I don't actually plant it, but I let the algae do its thing and the Synodontis (I think it's him, maybe) keeps it from growing as wild as in my dads goldfish tank. My dads goldfish tank looks planted, just with algae on the bones/rocks in there. The cow skull looks particularly stunning.

I like Anacharis in ANY tank and really wish hyacinth didn't make a mess of the tank. I also adore duckweed, but I might be about the only person that does.

that's literally the best shot I can make at a planted tank asking for help. I'm rather trash at botany. If you wish, I do have a friend that has a planted orinoco basin biotope that has a masters in botany. I could ask her on your behalf.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; The amazon will need some fertilizer directly in the substrate at the roots from time to time. There are some commercial solid plant tabs that can be used for this. Other aquarium plants feed from the water column but amazons are largely root feeders.

I have grown a lot of nice plants without added Co2 for over 50 years. Not saying Co2 does not work, but it is not a necessity. Perhaps something to try in the future.

qwerty1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2012
Ontario
Thanks, Ill look into all of that, and ill be sure to get some root tabs asap. Anymore input/opinions?

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Hello; The amazon will need some fertilizer directly in the substrate at the roots from time to time. There are some commercial solid plant tabs that can be used for this. Other aquarium plants feed from the water column but amazons are largely root feeders.

I have grown a lot of nice plants without added Co2 for over 50 years. Not saying Co2 does not work, but it is not a necessity. Perhaps something to try in the future.
Can I ask you a question?
If im using flourite as my substrate do I need root tabs? To my understanding flourite does a great job at providing for root feeding plants if I'm fertilizing the tank b

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store