Does anyone use mosquito larvae as feeders?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Live ones,for the little fishies of course.I scooped up a whole net full and dumped it in my feeder tank and my minnows,Killies and baby bala sharks love them.Just wondering if anyone else has tried them?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yeah they're cheap alright,best price ever lol.I can see them being a problem if they are allowed to mature into adults but in my tanks they are there only for a few minutes before the fish have gobbled them all up.

Khapham_1997

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2013
My house!!!!!
Yeah they're cheap alright,best price ever lol.I can see them being a problem if they are allowed to mature into adults but in my tanks they are there only for a few minutes before the fish have gobbled them all up.
True. Haha. I heard that feeding small fish mosquito larvae is better than pellets or any other food. What do you think about this??

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I was actually wondering what their nutritional value might be...They could be better than brine shrimp for small fish.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
When I was a kid my parents had a large rain collection system for their garden. Every summer I would go to the bait shop and buy minnows to put in there to control the misquote larvae. They lived fat and happy in there all summer

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
I have used mosquito larvae as feeders before occasionally during the summer like right now.. but eventually it was just way too messy in the end, and I stopped because all of the sludge build-up on the bottom, and sometimes the mosquito larvae manage to turn into adults, so cause of that, I could get in trouble for mosquitoes in the neighborhood, and you sometimes you would have to strain all the crud out to get to the mosquitoes..nasty..so like I said, messy lol. I would only feed larvae again if I have a lot of time on my hands to bother and if I'm runnning crazy low on cash and want something free. Their nutritional value is pretty decent, probably high in protein and iron or something.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
mosquito larvae is a good food for small fish and young fish. Their nutrition value isn't as much but I heard it is good for enhance colors. They are use as main food for small Flowerhorn, discus(and probably in some cichild too) to enhance the development of the pearls on their body.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store