Need identification

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
looks like a dragon fly nymph or something similar to that.

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
my guess would be stonefly nymph but would need a clear dorsal picture to identify for sure. I don't think it's a dragon or damsel fly, wrong head from what I can see which isn't much. Would need a clear picture of the underside of the head to ID that one out better.

Source: Took freshwater invertebrates when I did university :).

Edit: it could actually be a dragon/damselfly though. Hard to tell with the pics, can you score us some better ones?

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Cool I mean my canister hoses and all of my equipment had them everywhere. Just moved the trout to a pond so I'm going to tropical with the tank I can't see these posing any harm to tropical fish correct?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
If it is fast coldwater that is stonefly nymph heaven. They are harmless to any fish they can't outright catch and eat. I kept some damselfly larvae with my newts when I had them, it was all good. :)

They won't harm your fish unless your fish are damn small, lol.

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Yeah 100% stone fly nymph that explains why they where loaded up in the intake and outtake hoses on my canister. As for size these things were around a quarter inch.I appreciate the help guys

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Cool. You should double check the mouth to make sure it doesn't have these weird arms on its face that make a weird spoon looking thing. You'll know it when you extend it, can you check? That'll confirm to 100% that it's stonefly and not dragonfly. :)

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
dragonfly_larvae_big.jpg

Are you still at 100%? this is a dragonfly larva. You can tell the difference basted on the dorsal parts of the thoracic segments (so the stoneflies tend to have more defined ones.) The dragonfly also has a bum that is extended for jet propulsion. Literally, hah. The most diagnostic is the mouth.

dragonfly_nymph_byrne_creek_20060303.jpg

Literally like a spoon attached to an arm that sits like a darth vader mask when not extended. That is so diagnostic.

Check it out if you have the corpses still, it takes a second and will help us figure out your mystery more!

Edit: THIS IS PURELY TO GET AN ID AS YOU ASKED FOR ONE. WHAT YOU HAVE WILL NOT AND CANNOT CAUSE ISSUES UNLESS YOU ARE HANDLING FRY OR VERY SMALL FISH. :)

dragonfly_larvae_big.jpg

dragonfly_nymph_byrne_creek_20060303.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store