Can you please sex the Dovii from the video

vinod_uthaiah

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 17, 2013
India , Bangalore
I have a dovii...in another tank which has never shown the vertical line across the body.....instead has horizontal bars.....does that mean it is a female. ...will try and attach a pic

Sent from my GT-I9105 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ray neo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2014
woodlands
Bud, normally I not judge by vertical or horizontal strip, rather than tiny spot on the body at certain size,that only my personal pt of view, hope it will help,thx!

vinod_uthaiah

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 17, 2013
India , Bangalore
Bud, normally I not judge by vertical or horizontal strip, rather than tiny spot on the body at certain size,that only my personal pt of view, hope it will help,thx!
Do you have any picture references for the spot....how about the blue spangles on the jaw area , are they any less on the female

luvinbluegills

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
Pgh PA
A poster on this site (forgive me; I do not remember his name) shared something which proved to be 100% accurate when checking online pictures of males and females; the males have dark spots in their unpaired fins. If you do a search of dovii pairs, you'll find this to be true every time. It was the tipping point in figuring out the sex of my male.

The presence of spots above the lateral stripe is helpful, but the spots int he fins show first.

vinod_uthaiah

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 17, 2013
India , Bangalore
A poster on this site (forgive me; I do not remember his name) shared something which proved to be 100% accurate when checking online pictures of males and females; the males have dark spots in their unpaired fins. If you do a search of dovii pairs, you'll find this to be true every time. It was the tipping point in figuring out the sex of my male.

The presence of spots above the lateral stripe is helpful, but the spots int he fins show first.
Thanks very much for trying to help.
I read through quickly to first understand what does an unpaired fins mean.
I will look out closely and make my observation.
The issue that i am facing is whenever I face the aquarium from the front , with a camera in my hand , they know that i am upto no good and run and hide.
I need to device a method to stop looking like a fool...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store