cichlid help

alan2296

Feeder Fish
Aug 15, 2013
New York
Hello, I am thinking of starting a cichlid aquarium in a 55 gallon tank and have narrowed my choices for fish into one list. (Sorry if this is in the wrong subforum) Now before i get any comments regarding whether or not i know everything of these fish... I definitely do not!!! I do understand that some of these fish can not be kept together. Thats where u guys come in... Please examine this list and answer with your most educated guess of which fish can be kept together and which can not. Thank you very much. Here is the list:
- aulonocara koningsi mbenji
- rocio octofasciata (electric blue)
- thorichthys meeki
- aulonocara sp lwanda
- aulonocara jacobfreibergi (undu reef/eureka red jake)
- aulonocara stuartgranti ngara
- pseudotropheus socoloffi (albino)
- metriaclima estherae (OB zebra)
- chilotilapia rhoadesii
- fossorochromis rostratus
- cichlasoma festae
- andinoacara rivulatus
- tropheus Moorii kiriza kaiser

(I am definitely not an expert... Just gonna put that out there)

timbo6684

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2013
Surface of the Sun, Arizona
Hello, I am thinking of starting a cichlid aquarium in a 55 gallon tank and have narrowed my choices for fish into one list. (Sorry if this is in the wrong subforum) Now before i get any comments regarding whether or not i know everything of these fish... I definitely do not!!! I do understand that some of these fish can not be kept together. Thats where u guys come in... Please examine this list and answer with your most educated guess of which fish can be kept together and which can not. Thank you very much. Here is the list:
- aulonocara koningsi mbenji
- rocio octofasciata (electric blue)
- thorichthys meeki
- aulonocara sp lwanda
- aulonocara jacobfreibergi (undu reef/eureka red jake)
- aulonocara stuartgranti ngara
- pseudotropheus socoloffi (albino)
- metriaclima estherae (OB zebra)
- chilotilapia rhoadesii
- fossorochromis rostratus
- cichlasoma festae
- andinoacara rivulatus
- tropheus Moorii kiriza kaiser

(I am definitely not an expert... Just gonna put that out there)
I'll try to be brief...

Don't mix Africans with new world cichlids, different water parameters and dietary needs...people have success with mixing but imo your fish won't look as nice and healthy.

Regarding the African cichlids...with a 55 gal tank I wouldn't mix mbuna with haps and peacocks, mbuna are just too aggressive and will terrorize less aggressive haps and peacocks.

Unless you're going to do a species only colony of tropheus, I wouldn't bother with one.

If you're looking for color and mediocre aggression I suggest doing an all male peacock, aulonocara, tank. Most of the haps will get too large. If you want color and aggression go for a mixed mbuna tank

Hope that helps, good luck.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store