My koi spawned yesterday...isnt it to late in the season?

luv4scjjt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2012
upstate ny
My Koi did a whole lot of spawning yesterday and into the night. I woke up to find millions of eggs all over my water hyacynths and pond plants. So I took the plants out and put them in a 300 gallon rubermaid and a 100 gal Rubbermaid and havw the water from the pond circulating into and out of the the tubs. Isnt it kind of late in the season for spawning. So these eggs have any chance of serviving in this water? The water temp is at 75 I thought that would be to warm for them to spawn????

luv4scjjt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2012
upstate ny
I keep reading that temps above 75 can cause defects in the fry. I am worried because my pond is currently running at around 75, Everything I have read says that proper temp for healthy egg development is between 65 and 70..It will get real cold here in ny in a couple months but for now my water is warm. The fry will go in when it gets cold though, If they survive of course. I hope they do.

bmpauley

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2013
Marysville ohio
Yeah I know that New York weather but you could probably put a chiller in there for a while or just move them in your basement if you have one because it would be cold enough down there without adding any heaters or anything until the winter for them

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

luv4scjjt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2012
upstate ny
Basement idea is a possibility. Seen as they would have to be moved there in a couple months anyway. lol. that's a good idea thank you. Its strange that they spawned so late in the season....

bmpauley

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2013
Marysville ohio
No problem. I keep all my koi in a pond I built in my basement they are to expensive to have out side lol I have family in upstate New York in the finger Lakes area and Rochester area:)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
You should do some major water changes after koi spawn in a pond. Between the milt from the males and the egg development, a lot of ammonia is produced. It is kind of late in the season for koi to be spawning, but given the proper conditions, the eggs should hatch and the fry should survive. Just make sure there is not too much current in the fry tubs when the eggs begin to hatch.

luv4scjjt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2012
upstate ny
Awesome. I'm hoping they make it. I have half of them in a 100 gal Rubbermaid bin with an air stone and the other half in the 300 gal active plant bog. Water pumps into that from 1 submersible pump that is divided into 2 outlets. Currnet in both is relatively low but not stagnant. Hopefully that would be good for now. I will bring them in my basement when the weather gets colder after they are old enough for transport. The pic is of the active plant bog. THe 100 is the same kind as the 300 just only 100 gal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store