Jack Dempseys from Quintana Roo

newworld

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2008
chicago
Wild Jack Dempseys from Quintana Roo, brought back a few days ago from an unnamed cenote close to the resort Barcelo Maya Beach...... image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
cute little booger :)

newworld

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2008
chicago
Nice job bringing them back.
I've not been to that cenote, how did you capture them?
While we were on the trolley going to different sections of the hotel complex I saw it peaking out along the forested area so I found a few openings which had the typical cenote fish (dempseys, livebearers and rhamdia cats) I caught them with a hand line with a small jig head tipped with a waxworm...caught a bunch but had to do sorting to find nice one, I've found in the past and this trip the dempseys had pug faces, in this area along with the cenotes, maybe not a lot of genetic variation?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I've noticed a lot of pug faced ones too, and because many of the cenotes are small, agree about the genetic variation.
If you get a spawn or 2 I'll swap you some intermedium fry, if all goes well.
Or maybe I can find some Geo crassilabris in Panama in Oct.
I know you've been able to bring many back
Curious, how did you pack for the flight? breather bags? regular? in small styro?

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
Have either of you guys come across dempsies that look like the fish on the cover of "die buntbarsche der neuen welt" ?Translated to english it means the nasty perchfishes (cichlids) of the new world, central america. I`ve been in the hobby for over forty years and only had one fish to match it. Black backround with a lot of color. I have always wondered where such beautiful fish were collected.

newworld

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2008
chicago
I've noticed a lot of pug faced ones too, and because many of the cenotes are small, agree about the genetic variation.
If you get a spawn or 2 I'll swap you some intermedium fry, if all goes well.
Or maybe I can find some Geo crassilabris in Panama in Oct.
I know you've been able to bring many back
Curious, how did you pack for the flight? breather bags? regular? in small styro?
Sure I'll get you some dempseys and texas (if they ever spawn), as for packing I do at least 1 water change a day, depending on their water source, with fish over 2 inches I found breather bags to be worthless, with these fish I used 6 inch bags, bagged individually and doubled bagged, wrapped in dirty clothes packed in an upright suitcase..

newworld

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2008
chicago
Never saw a fish like that I've noticed when dempseys are kept on a dark substrate and dark background their base color looks darker...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store