Would like to start a SA/CA Cichlid set up!!!!! Help?

PanAntV

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2014
North Carolina
Hey guys! I'm new to the forum and i've been thinking about setting up a CA/SA tank. I currently have a 55 gallon and I realize this is small, but I do plan on switching to a 125gal or bigger in the next year or so. What are your tips as in what to get and how to set it up? From decorations, to cost and to types of fish. Any kind of input would be greatly appreciated. I decided to do CA/SA because I bought 2 jack dempseys to add to my tank which currently has 4 gourami's, 2 algae eaters, and 2 rainbow sharks. I have a couple more fish but I've already planned to give them away. Just a heads up. I love very colorful/patterns and stuff kind of fish. Suggestions about how to set up plants and driftwood etc...... PLEASE AND THANK YOU!

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Your question really has no answer. You need to find what YOU like, look of tank, fish etc.
Get on google and plug away. Loads of info and pictures. See what you like!

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
This tank a lone red devil in it. That's only half of the tank. The other half is just open water.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1408850172.284100.jpg

TexOscar1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2014
Texas
Really depends one what you like, everyone seems to have different ideas of what looks good. Myself, I have about 13 tanks in all so I did just about everything I could think of. This site hasn't helped though since I see new fish constantly that I would like to have! I am saving for a 300-340G and will go crazy with it i'm sure. Search google, that's what helped me narrow some choices down. JD are great choices as well, good color and personality. I am a fan of Oscars though as well, just not as many fish due to bioload and size. 55G tank, could do 1 of the bigger species or pair of JD or do a smaller group of the smaller species. I have a 75G with group of firemouths that is pretty entertaining at times, my 105 with a green terror in it suits me just fine. Basically, it all comes down to you to figure out what you like and go from there. Once you do that, this site is amazing at quick responses and getting many questions answered about whatever species you decide on. Welcome and good luck! Keep us posted on what you decide!

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
So many options and you could get hundreds of different opinions. If you do a little more research just to narrow down some general ideas that you like (earth eaters, acaras, planted vs rocks, aggressive vs semi-aggressive vs community, etc), then a lot of the people here can give you some great advice.

Personally speaking, I've become an acara guy after being very indecisive over the last couple years. I have a pair of white saums that I am head over heels in love with.

PanAntV

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2014
North Carolina
Thanks for all the input guys! I really appreciate it. Once I start doing a little more research and figure out what i really want, I'll do some more post. Again thanks for all the help. I really do want 2 oscars at the moment though. But if there's any input beyond this they are very welcome!

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
Thanks for all the input guys! I really appreciate it. Once I start doing a little more research and figure out what i really want, I'll do some more post. Again thanks for all the help. I really do want 2 oscars at the moment though. But if there's any input beyond this they are very welcome!
Only thing I would say about oscars is that a single one needs a minimum of a 75 without any tankmates. Two need at least a 125 with little to no tankmates. They grow super fast, so you need to have a 125 ready for two oscars within a few months of getting them. They are also super dirty, so don't skimp on the filtration system and keep a good water change schedule because they can get HITH easily.

PanAntV

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2014
North Carolina
Only thing I would say about oscars is that a single one needs a minimum of a 75 without any tankmates. Two need at least a 125 with little to no tankmates. They grow super fast, so you need to have a 125 ready for two oscars within a few months of getting them. They are also super dirty, so don't skimp on the filtration system and keep a good water change schedule because they can get HITH easily.

Wow I had no idea they grew that fast. I guess it only makes sense considering how fast my jacks are growing. They're only a month old or so and they are almost the same size as my gourami's that i've had for about 2 years or more. I'm loving the coloration of my jacks though. I have 2 one is bigger the other one is about 2/3rds the size of the big one. Seeing how much they've grown since i've had them is absolutely stunning. The larger one has these blue-green spots showing on it and its looking amazing. The smaller one has them as well now but not as much, but when i originally got it, it didn't have any of those spots.

vinod_uthaiah

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 17, 2013
India , Bangalore
You can try Electric Blue Jack Dempsey. Try getting some good strains or from a reputed vendor.
You will love them , very personable , mild , slow growers with awesome coloration.
Only flip side is they need good care and attention.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store