Bichir vs Ropefish

Invert trainer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2014
UK
Which one do you guys think is better for beginners in terms of interaction and care etc.
Any info on care for either species is good too.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Care is exactly the same for both. For a beginner, if you were to choose a poly I'd go with either a Senegal or delhezi or go for a group of ropes. How big is the tank they're going in?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
I would choose poly by far. For a beginner the ropes would pose a serious escape threat also they require smaller bite sizes of food compared to polys. However if you are good enough to make sure they don't escape and have the time to occasionally cut smaller pieces of food then either ropes or polys would work. Another thing about the ropes is they are better in groups so if you are limited on tank space then a single poly might be the only thing that can fit. So I would probably lean toward a polypterus being a better beginner, but the rope isn't too far behind

Invert trainer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2014
UK
I would choose poly by far. For a beginner the ropes would pose a serious escape threat also they require smaller bite sizes of food compared to polys. However if you are good enough to make sure they don't escape and have the time to occasionally cut smaller pieces of food then either ropes or polys would work. Another thing about the ropes is they are better in groups so if you are limited on tank space then a single poly might be the only thing that can fit. So I would probably lean toward a polypterus being a better beginner, but the rope isn't too far behind
How many ropes would need to be in a group?
Tank size is anything.

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
They hit 2-3 feet, so something with a 2ft width is a minimum for life (they curl VERY well.) I'd not keep less than 5, they get reclusive and a bit aggressive with eachother with less.
A 120 gallon would work for life, but a 180 would be ideal.

Invert trainer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2014
UK
'kay thanks

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
For ropes I'd say 5 would be ideal, but you could get away with 3. As far as tank size it really depends more on the footprint and decorations. I think for a good amount of time you could get away with a 40B, but would say a 75g would be an ideal tank for life. They should only get about 18"-20", but that will take some time and they will most likely stay around 16"-18"

rosne

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2014
CA
Honestly, you should get both. They require almost the same amount of care.

Keman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2014
Auburn, wa
Ropes are generally more social and will often be out more during the day. I have two now in my 125, and will be adding at least four more to create a good group with lots of room to move about. The trouble I am having is finding young ones to add right now. Feeding is not real issue, my roes have some small feeder fish to eat, and also get beef heart and blood worm etc.. In another tank, we have an Ornate, a Sen, and a south American Blunt nose gar who are very happy to eat pretty much the same assortment. Keep in mind, some polys will not eat pellet food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store