Heater

Donmedina

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2013
USA
Hello can someone advice me on a heater for a 220 gallon. Thanks in advance.
Sent from my SM-N900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fishbum

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2007
Antarctica
A 300 watt will heat a 220 just fine. I don't know where they come up with their ratings. I heated a 180 with one and know it will heat a 220. If you don't feel like it will, put 2 on it.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I always like to use 2 undersized heaters on tanks.
The most common malfunction (other than simply stopping) is to get stuck in the on position, and cook the tank.
With 2 heaters, if undersized, hopefully the other functional one will shut down, and even constantly on, the bad heater can't overheat the tank before its malfunction is noticed.
I had a Hydor 300 get stuck and contort a PVC pipe into a bend, the temp in a 300 gal system reached into the 90s when I noticed.
Not to single out Hydor, I've had many other brands of heaters get stuck over the years.
Unless you use a heater controller, 2 undersize ones provides some insurance.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I always like to use 2 undersized heaters on tanks.
The most common malfunction (other than simply stopping) is to get stuck in the on position, and cook the tank.
With 2 heaters, if undersized, hopefully the other functional one will shut down, and even constantly on, the bad heater can't overheat the tank before its malfunction is noticed.
Unless you use a heater controller, 2 undersize ones provides some insurance.
+1
I recommend:
2 of these http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-heaters/250-watt-jager-submersible-heater.html
and this http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-heaters/finnex-hc-0800-heater-controller.html

If your tank is in a cold area. I would up it to 3 heaters

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
The rating is based on how many degrees you want to raise from room temperature. If the tank is in a cold basement, you need higher wattage, but if it is in living area at comfortable room temperature, you need a lower wattage to raise a few degrees. When it comes to selecting heaters, bigger is not better as an over sized heater can cook the fish and it happened far too often.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store