Aba Aba Knife/Gymnarchus Niloticus

Jep76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2013
Tampines
Hi guys,just wondering if I can get any information about the Aba Aba knife. Got one puny four incher a couple of days back,used to have one double that size when I was a teenager. Way before hearing what it is capable of. What I would like to know,if there are any guys out there who have ever kept any from baby till adult and your relationship with the so called 'beast'. I heard of it's max size in the wild. But how about in captivity.Appreciate if anyone can share their experience. Not thru the research on internet or rumours. Please share your real life experience. Cheers!

Lukey

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2014
Thailand
One of the most rewarding.
had one that was 1 feet, killed it when I overchange the water.
could even stroke it.
fed tubifex worms while it was the size of yours on day 1 and changing to diced frozen beef the very next day.
grows fast.

starting again and currently have 2, got it around 6", and it's now 12" in 3months

image.jpg

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Had mine for 5yrs now...from 7"-24". Id guarentee 36" or larger for a potential common size in aquaria.
uploadfromtaptalk1411995390187.jpg
Pretty sure this is in a standard 125...so theyll get big even in small quarters.
uploadfromtaptalk1411995500488.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1411995538503.jpg
Here is my guy at 24" in a 4'x2'x3' 180gal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

bobVillanueva

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
Philippines
www.youtube.com
I got a 18" atm. I used to have a ~3 footer which died. I know a person who has a 3 foot fish (same batch with my old one)

They grow really fast and is pretty hardy. Really aggressive as well. However, i was successful for a while with a gator gar and Silver aro. Until it took an eye from a pleco. Hehe

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Monster_Minis

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2014
Wisconsin
If you haven't read my thread about "Bruce" may be of some help ect. Documents him from a tiny baby to current day 23" or so. Threw some major life changes... Hes one fish we have fought tooth and nail to continue keeping. Extremely intelligent and responsive fish once they warm up to you... I still wont hand feed him though lol. Nice to see you guys still keeping yours. Egon been waiting for an update! Though may have missed it since i been mia a few monthes.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
If you haven't read my thread about "Bruce" may be of some help ect. Documents him from a tiny baby to current day 23" or so. Threw some major life changes... Hes one fish we have fought tooth and nail to continue keeping. Extremely intelligent and responsive fish once they warm up to you... I still wont hand feed him though lol. Nice to see you guys still keeping yours. Egon been waiting for an update! Though may have missed it since i been mia a few monthes.
Yeah my guy rocks! Also won’t hand feed or try to pet it but I do tell visitors to put their finger in the feeding hole to "pet" the fish LOL No one has but I have my phone ready on video just in case.....

I will update my Aba Aba thread. I'm setting up a 210 for him now, the 180 is getting to small :)

Jep76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2013
Tampines
Thank you guys for the priceless information.I know this thread was quite sometime back,but sold mine and was trying out some other species and seriously forgot about it.Just could not get the feel with other fishes so soon will be getting a slightly bigger one say about one feet and hope i can groom it well as a pet.The intelligence and aggressiveness of the aba aba really have my respect.Have a good week ahead everyone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store