40 breeder

TexOscar1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2014
Texas
Picked up a 40 breeder today that had been used for saltwater so it has a in tank "sump" setup. Always used hob and canister filters, so as far as media, theres not a lot of space but what would yall recommend? Bioballs? Some kind if plants? Any idea is worth a shot right now, tank wil either be a fry growout or may put a breeding pair of firemouths in it.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Put some sort of bio media in it, like ceramic rings or pot sctubs.. maybe stuff some pothos on the top if you want.

From my experience with sumps and custom filters is that mechanical filtration is king, or you'll end up with a nitrate producing sewer in your tank.

Im not sure how its set up, but a chamber or w/e with floss or bonded poly sheeting would be the best place to start and make maintenance easier down the road.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

TexOscar1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2014
Texas
It does have 3 chambers I believe, I was thinking some type bio but mechanical for sure, that I will have to figure out. Just put the floss in the entire chamber?

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Hard to say without pictures. I had a 40b with an overhead baffled sump. Whole thing was about 5" x 7" x 36". The first chamber was floss. I had to change it weekly with no exceptions or jt5 would clog and overflow.

Floss is exceptional for mech media. Ita very fine and will clog faster than coarse media. Is there a danger of a flood if it overflows?

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

TexOscar1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2014
Texas
Here is a pic.
image.jpg

It might, i plan on setting it up outside for a bit to make sure everythin is good. It shouldnt though since its all in the tank. Not a large outside tank pumping water back into it.

image.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store