so tell me, what's the appeal?

Simcan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
Toronto
Hi all. First, please be assured I am not trolling. I am sincerely curious. I see dats are enormously popular on this site but I don't think I understand why, exactly. They seem rather dull in colour and appearance and behaviour. I don't keep oscars, but I think I get why people like them...colour, wet-pet, enthusiastic feeders etc.

I also confess I am unclear on what justifies some of the very high prices. And I still have not figured out what people mean by "stable" with these fish.

I used to not get why BGK are so popular, either, and then I got one on impulse and he is fantastic. One of my favourites.

So here is your chance to sing their praises.

(Incidentally, my current fish are an electric catfish and leopard ctenpoma, twenty-odd congo tetras, a two-foot AUL and rainbowfish, a Mbu puffer and the aforementioned BGK...former favourite no longer with me was a big golden Osphronemus gourami.)

sevank21

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
In My House
Why dont you buy one on impulse and see how you like it?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
That's a decent question, I feel the same way about bichirs, I daresay if I ever do try one; I'll probably find out the appeal :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Simcan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
Toronto
Why dont you buy one on impulse and see how you like it?

It has occurred to me, which is why I mention the BGK. But not an answer to my question. But I will bite: The impulse buy on the BGK was occasioned by the fact that they are obviously very unique moving and looking. I just did not see the appeal of a fish that (I thought) would hide all the time, needed sand/mud bottom, only ate live, etc. None of which, as it happens, is true. But there is nothing about the dats that would move me to impulse buy one EXCEPT how many people lose their minds over them. So I may well do it. But in the meantime, I started this thread.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I had the same thought, and still do, but today I randomly bought 2 so I guess I'll find out soon enough. So far the people I have spoken 2 have said that they will not own a tank unless it has at least 1 dat in it. Since I've only had mine for a few hours my mind hasn't changed about them yet but it probably will by the end of the week

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

sevank21

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
In My House
For me, i personally like their colors/stripes and body shape, love their spikey dorsal fin.

They are kinda quirky sometimes when swimming. Tilting to the sides, going damn near upside down when inspecting an objects on tank floor.

Their really really fast incredibly extending mouth when eating.

For others im sure there is a huge satisfaction when getting them on pellets. That **** aint for me. Luckily mine was already pellet trained :)

IMO, if you cant go visit a friend who has one and watch their behavior, youtube a bunch of vids. Its what I do when contemplating getting a new sp of fish.

Mustardtiger101

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2013
Canada
I also wondered why they were so popular so I bought one. It was the the most boring fish I've ever owned. All it did was sit in the corner.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

joel

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2005
THE GARDEN STATE
Dats are boring compared to the cichlids I keep IMO , but I also keep a bunch of dats and have no desire to part with them . They are interesting fish and look awesome but I still prefer my cichlids. This is only my opinion though.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
I like the look of a HUGE one in a tank. Other than that nothing has ever drawn me to them. If I came across a true giant monster for a price that doesn't leave me hungry for two weeks I'd jump on it, otherwise is never buy a small one.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store