How do you pellet train a tiger?

TAiZi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2014
Singapore
Have 3 7-8 inch ITs, trying desperately to pellet train but failing badly. They are comm with other fish that take to the pellets with no problems. I have starved them for about a month and still they wont take the pellets. Any other suggestions?

Ninjabadger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2014
Henlow, UK
Which types of pellets are you giving them? My dat takes massivore on the drop. Occasionally she will surface for the cichlid gold but since I've started the tank on massivore that's defiantly the second choice.

Jhawk974

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2014
Utah
Have you tried stuffing fresh shrimp with pellets? I soaked my pellets in bloodworms to get my dats on pellets.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

McPhish

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 7, 2014
MI
Have you tried stuffing fresh shrimp with pellets? I soaked my pellets in bloodworms to get my dats on pellets.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
+1, stuff shrimp with the pellets. Eventually the dats will just take the pellet

SickSauce

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2011
Mekong Delta
If your gonna stuff shrimp, I recommend carnistick pellet. Slips in the center of shrimp like a condom

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Hoplo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
New Zealand
I hand feed my dat with blood worms (using other hand to chase off other fish), and after a few weeks when it was really used to hand feeding I just changed from blood worms to massivore. The dat was a bit apprehensive at first, but allways takes pellets now

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
Wow, a month! I can understand why you are getting desperate to do something to get them to eat.. I somehow got pretty lucky with my datnoid, and it began taking pellets relatively early without long starvation, so it's really easily now for mine to eat them with no problems without needing the pellets to appear 'live' and moving. I also dose weiss's garlic liquid solution from time to time into the tank to try and help with appetite and health. I believe it has helped.. Try garlic juice too with the pellets. Others have already suggested good ways to get them to take pellets, so yeah, try the methods and go on from there. Good luck.

Looloo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2012
Singapore
For me I've been lucky. I'll usually make sure I feed them well and that they know that I am their source of food. Once they start coming up to the surface while you feed all is good . Same with the other fishes I start of with feeders move on to cut up feeders frozen feeders and I squeeze in hikari sticks into the cut up parts to let them get used to the smell of the pellets. Once you get them eating cut up feeders forawhile you're on your track.my cichlas didn't accept prawns when I first introduced it but when I threw in prawns with hikari stuck in them they gobbled it down. I suppose it will be good if you can get them to start getting use to pellets. It will take time but it works!! My fishes eat anything and everything now!!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TAiZi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2014
Singapore
mmmm, how exactly do u stuff the pellets into the shrimp? Full shrimp piece? or cut pieces but you nudge a pellet into the shrimp flesh? thanks guys!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store