water changes not affective at controlling nitrates?

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
Stupid article. Totally misleading.

In his example you will get diminishing returns starting now and the highest you'll ever get is 20 / 10 (start at 10, add 10 to 20, reduce half to 10, start over). So if he had gone one more week you'd see his argument was mute and nitrates were stable.

Very stupid misleading article.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
While somewhat misleading, I believe the author is trying to convey (in a somewhat overly dramatic way) the (I believe false) old adage and idea that a monthly water change is sufficient for healthy fish.
I change about 20%-30% per day in summer, have planted refugiums, and use pothos, and my nitrates hover at about the 2-5ppm range.
Most natural unpolluted waters have a nitrate level of <1ppm.
To me the difference between over 20ppm nitrates and the pristine 1ppm, is like the difference of humans that live in smog, or smog free air, as far as health issues are concerned.
If you keep fish that normally come from eutrophic waters such as many anabantids do (but also take in atmospheric air), a monthly water change may be sufficient.
If you keep rheophillic cichlids , or other sensitive species like stingrays or dorado, a water change every other day may not be.
To me, the plethora of HITH and other posts in the MFK disease section is an indication of the importance of keeping to a more rigorous approach to fishkeeping than the accepted norm.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
I dont see how he is condoning monthly water changes? And theoretically his calculations are right, we all need to be running drip systems to adhere to his rules!
Can you explain duanes where his idea is flawed?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
I don't think the numbers in the article are flawed at all, (most people, like the 2nd poster, believe it is a bit dramatic) the author says in the paragraph preceding his calculations, changing 50% per week, (and many aquarists think that is a huge water change (and most, at best change 20%-30% per week)) will "not" be sufficient,
and I agree, if you want what I consider a safe nitrate level.
But the toxicity of nitrate is to some, debatable.
To me, it is not, and I, in my 20%-30% per day daily water change routine, change over 120% per week.
And use pothos, and planted refugiums.
Still my nitrate concentration hovers at 2-5ppm.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
That ia dedication dude... im now thinking anything below 100 percent a week isnt going to suffice!?
I am guilty of not having a proper nitrate test relying on strips and a 70percent change on my 300, I need a proper drip kit now.... also need to setup my overflow properly (as it was inadequate) and get the drip running again...

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Its really not that hard, I open a valve, and instead of going to the sumps, old water from the tanks flows outside to my garden. Takes 5 or 10 minutes to loose 300 gallons of day old water from the tanks, and water the garden at the same time. Open another valve, and new water goes from tap to my sumps/tanks.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
I was running an overflow box type overflow as I run canisters, it couldnt keep up with the 200l a day so need a beefier setup, the fresh water is plumbed still just off. This has spurred me to get it sorted tho, although I will miss the old fashioned water changing, got a weekend routine lol.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
This is not about canisters mate did you read the link in post 1

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store