Help with popeye

scandel

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2011
kuwait
Hi all well my male FH got what I think is popeye a week ago. So I put him in the hospital tank with medication for 4 days but the eye didn't get much better. I read online that better water conditions would make it better so I thought maybe the hospital tank water conditions weren't too good and that maybe the cycle was putting more stress so I put him back into my main tank .. But now he wownt eat... Any ideas on how to cure the eye and the eating issue ?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
I think you should have kept him in the hospital tank and just have done a water change

Sent from my SCH-R830C

scandel

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2011
kuwait
The thing with the water change if I did that I would have ruined the amount of medication added which is free ocean internal bacterial and ulcer away.
Should I put him back in the hospital tank and risk it ??

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
Hmmm wasn't familiar with that brand but I just searched it and It didn't say its for popeye treatment. I think you should put it in the hospital tank, do a water change then redose for how many gallons/litres you took out but thats just me I think someone else might disagree.

Sent from my SCH-R830C

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
Yeah, I know popeye can be a pain in the A to treat just keep the water quality up and he should heal up.

Sent from my SCH-R830C

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
I have treated popeye several times before .... most of the time successfully. I presently have a Rotkeil Severum male that, out of the blue, developed the popeye condition in both eyes. If one eye pops, it has been said that it could be injury-caused, with both eyes, bacterial infection most likely. My treatment uses two medications, kamamycin (kanaplex) to combat any bacterial infection (gram negative, most likely) and metronidazole to treat any spironucleus present. I quarantined the fish in a 10G aquarium, with quite heavy aeration (air stone, no filtration) and have added two TBSP of Epsom salts per the 10G to draw excess fluids from the fish. After about 5 days, the swelling has significantly reduced in both eyes and some puss and fluids are being released from around the edge of the eyes. I have started feeding small amounts of food which he is taking readily. Now, keep in mind that this is what I've done with reasonably good success. It may or may not work for you. Popeye can be tricky. I have added medications every second day, according to the instructions on the containers and after a roughly 30% water change. Hope you are able to save your FH.

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
Any update on him?

Sent from my SCH-R830C

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store