Suckers Anyone?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Does anybody here keep and native species of suckers such as Whites, Redhorses, Chubsuckers, Carpsuckers, Bufallos, etc? If so feel free to share your experience(s). When I turn my 75 into a large creek community I'm interested in getting some species of them.

Leo1234

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
California
I have a lake chubsucker and a golden redhorse. When you keep suckers you should keep other fish with them or they will panic all the time. Also they usually eat on the bottom of the aquarium and need a lot of food. On nanfa there are some old topics that they talk about how to keep them. They are one of the best aquarium fish if you know how to keep one. I would recommend chubsuckers as a first time sucker. They seem to do the best in aquariums.

http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/4272-suckers-in-the-aquarium/page__hl__ white sucker

http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/782-red-horse-in-aquarium/page__hl__ white sucker

Aquaculture Tyler

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2013
Alamosa Colorado
No I haven't but I used to work at a native restoration facility for lab when I was in college they raised and breed endangered fish such as the blue headed sucker, razorback ect I used to have to sit there with a microscope and pick eggs out of cotton for hours that wasn't fun but I would keep a blue headed sucker if they were legal to keep here.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Hasircoglu

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2014
Lancaster Pennsylvania
i have 2 northern hog suckers(both are 4'') in my native 55, i used to have white and a quillback but they got moved back out to my creek. they seem to be more active when i kept my water around 60-68, except my quill he liked it warmer. They are really lazy if its to warm

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
Does anybody here keep and native species of suckers such as Whites, Redhorses, Chubsuckers, Carpsuckers, Bufallos, etc? If so feel free to share your experience(s). When I turn my 75 into a large creek community I'm interested in getting some species of them.
I've kept jumprocks and hog suckers successfully, if you get some and want pointers let me know, they are great fish if kept under the correct conditions...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store