Tilapia vs gold fish

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
I usually get feeder fish once a week and feed them really good pellets the rest of the week but I've been thinking about switching to tilapia every day or eod, is it better then gold fish?I kno it has to be in terms if diseases and parasites but better in terms of growth? Also my pellets are expensive ones 25.99 a bag and the other is 35.99 a bag.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
I've been in the same exact position as you. My current stock would go through a jumbo bag of hikari carni sticks in about 2 1/2 weeks which is around 35 bucks. I switch a day with market prawns and also tilapia. Works perfectly and save $$$

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
As fare as pellets go I buy the jumbo carni sticks and the massivor pellets witch are actually better then the carni sticks 1 pellet is = to 1.8 gold fish but its almost a 40 $ bag after tax and as the fish get bigger they eat more and more. I was just wondering if tilapia would grow the fish super quick like gold fish and good pellets. I'm going to take a educated guess and say yes sense its fish and full of protein but I've never tryed it.

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
I NEVER feed goldfish to any of my species. Tilapia is much better for nutritional value.

I have raised Tilapia for food. it is easy. They grow on the moderate side 1.2" per month.

Buy 100 Tilapia fingerlings. Gut stuff during quarantine in the cheap $5 16 gallon Walmart totes with a seeded V sponge filter or two.

By the end of a three week QT, you will have uber live feed for your fish.

The Nile Oreochromis grows the fastest and reaches sexual maturity the quickest of the three species sold in the markets as "Tilapia".

They will spawn from fingerlings within 8 months. More like 9 - 10 for the blue O's. I haven't tried the Moz. O. species.

Also if you want to buy the Tilapia from markets, whole fish are cheaper by weight. The junk that we throw out after "filleting" to Oreachromis is the best "stuff" to feed your fish. You could kill two birs with one stone feeding your family and fish with whole rather than pre-filleted.

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
I planned on buying the raw stuff its like 7.99 for a big bag and just chopping it up in to little pieces and throwing it in.

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
If you have access to a pond or lake try minnow traps and catch bluegill.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
Not sure if talapia is going to work it just sinks and my aro is a top feeder any suggestions??

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Large mouth bass filets and chopped up bluegill work well for me. Free from my Lake, and neither contains thiaminase.

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

chevyguy1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2013
kansas
Worms my silver loves worms and if they sink get a syringe and put a small amount of air in it.....also minnows seem to work for me

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Yea catching your own fish and filleting is a huge money saver. So are minnow traps and dip nets. For sinking tilapia use a feeding stick, I used a skewer stick, worked great

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store