Drs Foster and smith Chlorine Neutralizer vs Prime?

epond83

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Duvall, WA
I have been using prime fro a long time now. I love that it has dosage per amount of chlorine which I know from local water test so I can use a more exact amount then the general label.

With that said I was shopping around and cam across Drs Foster and Smith 'house brand' chlorine remover. It looks like and has similar instructions to prime. I swear they just relabeled the prime package! but at about 1/3 the cost!

Since I'm sure most like me use a lot of chlorine remover this could be a great product. Has any one used it or know of any testing that has gone on with it to know if it works just as well? I would hate to kill my fish by using an inferior product but my wallet would like this stuff if it works!

asteele.19

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2014
Michigan, United States
I have some on order. I am going to test it on one tank and see how it goes. Its gotten good reviews so I can't imagine its horrible. I am in the middle of starting a small Aquaponics business, and I will soon run out of money if I keep using Prime.

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
I have some on order. I am going to test it on one tank and see how it goes. Its gotten good reviews so I can't imagine its horrible. I am in the middle of starting a small Aquaponics business, and I will soon run out of money if I keep using Prime.

Do the smell test !!! :)

let us know ....

epond83

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Duvall, WA
I was doing a bit more digging and found dr foster and smith contains:

" This product contains DeIonized Water, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate, Sodium Carbonate and Sodium Tetraborate"

and Prime contains "Proprietary aqueous solution of complexed hydrosulfite salts"

Not that it means a whole lot to me.

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
Does the Dr. Foster and Smith work on ammonia? A lot of dechlorinators don't neutralize the ammonia like Prime does...

EDIT- Just checked the site...this does not remove ammonia. You would need to get their separate ammonia remover. It sounded to good to be true...plus you need a teaspoon for every 10 gallons.

1 teaspoon is almost 5 ml. You would need 25 ml for every 50 gallons where as with Prime you only need 5 ml for every 50 gallons. Basically you are going to be using 5x the amount as you would be with Prime. So any savings you get with a larger bottle are going to be eaten up in higher dosage amounts.

Plus....it doesn't work on ammonia

epond83

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Duvall, WA
hmmm I missed the dosage part I thought they were the same. yeah that makes the price point a bit different. The ammonia part I'm not too worried about, I rarely have a tank newly cycling and if I do i can steal media from an established tank.

Either way I guess I'll stay with Prime cause of the dosage. Especially as I mentioned earlier Seachem actually states how much chlorine is removed per 5ml dose and if you have a local water report you can find your average chlorine amount, round up a bit and you can be even more efficient in dosing. For me this means I can use even less!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I wasn't aware there was anything you could buy that would handle ammonia?

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
I wasn't aware there was anything you could buy that would handle ammonia?
Feasibly something will handle ammonia but still keep nitrogen accumulating. Bacteria, algae, plants etc can break it down into nitrates but ultimately it will stay in the system and one day you will probably have a bad day.

adixon816

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2012
Piscataway, NJ
Why not go with safe over prime? Same idea but it goes a lot further on less money.

Sent from my HTCONE using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Feasibly something will handle ammonia but still keep nitrogen accumulating. Bacteria, algae, plants etc can break it down into nitrates but ultimately it will stay in the system and one day you will probably have a bad day.
Right but there is no additive that will eliminate it which is what sounds like what Ruben is looking for.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store