Is 12x Turn Over Rate Too Much?

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Hey Everyone,

Im almost done setting up my 150 gallon tall tank which originally was going to be for freshwater rid now heading for saltwater. I have a laguna 2400 pump that I purchased months ago for this job. So my return pump is rated at almost 1800 GPH after head height. Will that be a problem? Im not running a fugue just filter sock, skimmer and moving bed filter.

Or should I try to sell this pump and get the mag 12 ratted at 800 GPH after head height of the tank...?

JonY3k

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Ohio Wooster

js302

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2005
England
lol lol

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
It depends on what your going to stock it with. Fish like GATF's need crazy high flow rates, but others would suffer in the same turbulant water. Dont no much about saltwater but it does seem a bit high...

Sent from my GT-S6810P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
12x is fine especially if you're going to be doing corals. Corals need flow. And even if you're doing fish only, the outputs are usually pointed towards the surface anyway causing very little turbulence.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
How are you getting the water out of the tank? The size of your plumbing is what dictates the return pump size, not how many turnovers you desire in the tank itself. Get the desired flow with power heads. In your extra tall tank I wouldn't go less than 25x for fish only, and would be pushing 50x if you are doing coral. You could get away with less if you were setting up a reversing gyre system, but that is not an especially easy thing to do well.

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Hey everyone I realized the invention of a flow valve is awesome lol, basically I added a flow valve to see how everything reacts tot he flow rate. As the skimmer is rated for a certain amount of flow rate so I figure I must try to match that rate when the skimmer officially breaks in.

Thanks and I had the return pump so big because originally this tank was going to be set up for freshwater and of coarse was thinking about having a hystrix ray and wanted great turnover rate for filtration purposes.

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
How are you getting the water out of the tank? The size of your plumbing is what dictates the return pump size, not how many turnovers you desire in the tank itself. Get the desired flow with power heads. In your extra tall tank I wouldn't go less than 25x for fish only, and would be pushing 50x if you are doing coral. You could get away with less if you were setting up a reversing gyre system, but that is not an especially easy thing to do well.

50x?! Ur crazy! That would be 7500gph on a 150g tank!

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
50x?! Ur crazy! That would be 7500gph on a 150g tank!
Reread my post. If doing corals in the extra tall tank and not with the return pump but with power heads. 40x is pretty standard in the reef world with a properly proportioned tank, the extra height is a huge problem if going reef.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store