Niger Trigger tank set up?

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
This could be a possible new thing for me. I have zero Salty experience. Just wondering what best set up would be for NT. Tank mates, FOWLR or FO, also basics in what I would need? Should I use a sump if I have live rock?

Tank will be 8x3. Can you do auto drip/ WC system with Salt?
Appreciate the advise

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
Bigger tank mates like eels, angels and tangs in my opinion. I prefer live rock but you can do it without, it's a matter of preference. I would run a sump because you are going to either need a large skimmer or algae turf scrubber to remove the waste. Also with those aggressive fish it is a good idea to get the heaters out of the tank where they are safe from damage. People do auto water changers but with salt you will need to meter the water in and out. This is usually done with peristaltic pumps, and it can be a PITA with an auto top off system you will need to keep your salinity stable. Better for a salt newb to do water changes manually IMO.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Thank you very much for that info! The auto drip is a must for that tank :(
I think I will leave that one to fresh and just do a 125 salt.

So basically a skimmer is needed water changes are done with the obvious new water being salt water and thats about it and the different water Parameters? what is the top up when evap happens all about?
In the fresh world that is a no no but seem to hear it very often when reading about salt?

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
One more question, is RO water a must or a preference? Maybe depending on the fish?

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
we top of saltwater because salt doesn't evaporate causing increases to salinity - ro water comes more into play with inverts such as corals

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store