Tank Size/Shape for Abei Puffer

upstater13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I am looking to set up a tank for an Abei Puffer and am trying to get input on what tank size/shape would be best for him. I read everywhere that the minimum tank size is around 25 gallons so I am looking into that 30-40 gallon range (unless someone with FW puff experience tells me otherwise). I know these fish are typically bottom to lower half of the water column dwellers. Would a 30 or 40 breeder be better than a 36 bowfront for example? It will be all fake plants/wood so I can keep the lights fairly low as I have read multiple places that this can help keep the Abei more active.

I have access to a 36bow right now but am fine with waiting it out and trying to find a breeder if it would be that much better.

Thanks for any and all help!

PS - Anyone with FW puff experience please chime in on the Abei in general.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I dont have that type of puffer but I have Monotrete Baileyi (hairy) that also is said to need only about 25 gallons. I have to say mine is pretty active and I could not see having him in that small a space. I have mine in a 40B with an AC110 for filtration. I think a 36 bow would work out just fine but I think they do appreciate the space so a 40B would not hurt. Plus the 40B is one of those tanks that Petco puts on their $1 per gallon sales.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store