tank transfer ?

turbo_boat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2012
nj
upgrading tank from 80 to 220. question is if i take the current filtration and about 75 gallons of the old tanks water add it to the new 220 will i need to wait for cycle?

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
In my opinion, just transfer the tank medias.....use brand new water. Beneficial bacteria from filter media should be sufficient.

just make sure brand new water has enough Prime de-chlorinator, age it for a few days. I also add API aquarium salt when moving the fish, helps with the stress.

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
No need to transfer water, there's not enough beneficial bacteria in the water column to warrant putting dirty water in your new tank. The b.b. colony in the filter should be sufficient. Substrate, deco and plants are also covered in it, I would definitely suggest moving that stuff over as well at least for the first week or two. If you plan on changing the substrate in the new tank just bag up some of the old stuff in media bags or some nylon stockings and set it on top of the new substrate.

As stated before you'll definitely need to make sure the new water is treated with dechlorinator and is to the proper temperature before moving over your stock.

Make sure to post pics when you're done!

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
Transferring water is a good idea if you're moving the fish. There can be a significant difference in aged tank PH vs fresh tap water. Make sure the temperature is within 1-2f, or you'll need to bag and float the fish.

So long as you're moving EVERYTHING, it should go very smoothly if you don't let anything dry out, or be exposed to water that has not been treated with dechlorinator.
If you're just moving filters, feed VERY lightly for the first few weeks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store