Pothos vs gallons?

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Is there a ratio? I was thinking of putting pothos on top of my 220 using the two openings as a makeshift planter but is there a certain amount I should shoot for? I figure having them ontop will also help to drown out the light and will make the top of my tank look less bare

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
I used a plant with a fist sized root ball in my 180, wish i had done two of those. Really though, once it gets the new roots to grows very quickly.

Sent from my LG-E980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
Ya know I've not done any testing, but I had a planted tank that was well stocked and needed nitrates added. Emersed, fast growing plants eat up tons. It's worth doing, for sure. Peace lilly is another great plant, and flowers a lot.

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
I'll snag a quick picture, mine are crammed in two 3
2x1 inch cutouts. Just enough for the stems to fit since i have ropefish

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
I cut the roots down a few weeks ago. After 4 months they'd gotten out of hand. Had a ball the size of my head for the compost.

uploadfromtaptalk1409093848595.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1409093871842.jpg

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
F1 VET started a super informative thread on this: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?504763-Cheap-plants-less-nitrate!-POTHOS

That being said, as far as how much per gallon; I'd say "the more the merrier" I'd put in as much as you are cool with. They are great at soaking up excess nitrates. I personally think peace lilies are a bit overrated but a not often mentioned plant that has been doing great in my tank both caged with media and just hanging in water is philodendron brasil.

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Thank you pd I saw f1s post a cpl weeks ago started to read it then lost it.

I could just do a mixture of all 3 plants pothos, peace lilies, and philodendron as I think the color of each together would look nice only problem all three are "poisonous" to dogs and cats I have both my dogs stay upstairs so no worries with them my dumb cats though like to eat plants will they learn hey those hurt or will they just keep eating till death ?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
No idea on the cat thing, no four legged animals in my house.

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
http://www.pawsdogdaycare.com/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants/golden-pothos-poisonous-pets
Looks like the plant would be painful to eat, Id think they'd not do too much munching. Most places say it's only mildly toxic unless they feast on the painful, nasty plant.

To be safe, there's very cheap mesh to be had at craft stores, you could contain the plants fairly easily with fishing line and some nylon mesh sheets. It'd also be a cheap way to hang the plants as they grow long.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store