can a saltwater dip treat feeders?

joe5639

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
hi guys sorry didnt know where else to post this but i was wondering if i could get rid of all the parasites on feeder fish by dipping one in my saltwater tank before a feeding?

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Or cysts of external ones.

the best bet for feeders is to know your source or get them on a dry/frozen food. Guppy breeders (or any livebearers) often do culls where you can maybe work out a minuscule payment to take them off their hands. Other than that, I've seen people literally breed some of the more prolific cichlids, like convicts, just to feed their carnivores.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Freezing them will definitely kill every parasite that may be in or on the feeders. I would gutload the minnows with veggie flakes right before freezing them. If they're live that is.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
I would keep the minnows in a plastic bin with light salt water and treat them with methylene blue for a few days.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I feed a lot of my stock with fish from my Lake. I filet bass and machete chop sunfish and yellow perch into chunks. Soak in Salt water, rinse, soak in RO water then freeze. Then I thaw and feed. No problems with parasites so far.

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store